Question

Multiple Locations when one would do?

• 26 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Good day IFS Community!

I am stuck a bit on how IFS is reserving parts and putting them on a pick ticket.  The issues I have are:

I have part ABC in location number 123 Quantity = 4000

I have part ABC in location number 234 Quantity = 4000 

My shop order or customer order will have part ABC in a quantity of 500

The pick ticket will direct me to get 200 from location number 123 and 300 from location number 234 even though there is enough in the first location.  I do not believe reservations are playing a part in this.

Why?

The second issue I have is I am having parts being left out of pulling.  For instance

I have 4 of part ABC in location number 123.

I have 24 of part ABC in location number 234.

My customer order is for 16.  

The pick ticket does not direct me to the location number 123 to “clear” the remaining amount.  

We are utilizing IFS Cloud.  I am also in the beginning stages of utilizing storage zones for priority when picking.  

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

Are your parts batch lot or expiry date controlled parts and it might be having different lots when stored in the locations? Or could it be that out of the 4000 in location 123 are from different receipts?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @DarinHowrey,

As @ryandu also mentioned, there could be additional considerations with respect to the parts/stock that could be affecting the selection.

The reservation functionality could use either of these priority rules depending on the setup on the site:

• Earliest Expiration Date - the part is reserved at the location where the part has the earliest expiration date.
  • Earliest Receipt Date - the part is reserved at the location where the earliest receipts of the part has been performed.
  • Highest Putaway Zone Ranking - the part is reserved on locations that have the highest ranking of putaway zone for the part.
  • Largest Quantity on Handling Unit - the part is reserved in handling units having as large quantity as possible (intention is to reserve as few handling units as possible)
  • Outermost Handling Unit - the parts are reserved in handling units which have as few parents as possible - avoiding that one has to open handling unit structure at the time of picking.

Note that if handling unit optimization is used the automatic reservation will always try to reserve parts in complete handling units first regardless of the priority setting above.

Please check the above, with respect to the data linked to the parts (stock) and locations. I’m sure you would be able to locate one of the above as the explanation for the noticed behavior.

Kind regards.