Question

IPAP - Filter on Condition Code

• 27 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi All,

I have a customer that is focussing more and more on his Supply Chain planning and looking at the IPAP details. Now they have parts that use Condition Codes (NEW/DAMAGED/REPAIRED). The repairs are done externally by their supplier and this is handled through the External Service orders.

Now, the external repair process creates a CO to send the damaged parts to their supplier and a corresponding Po to receive the repaired parts back. In the IPAP we see these PO’s with repaired parts.

Now comes the crux: the company has an internal decision that the repaired parts are only to be used in the Service Department, not in Production. So they actually don’t want to see the incoming Po’s of repaired items because this throws their supply chain for production a bit off. 

So actually, they would like to exclude parts based on condition code from the IPAP overview. But i don’t see any possibilities on this in the standard IFS solution. Would anybody have any additional tips on this?

Some workarounds I found myself:

• Put the External Repair Po’s on ‘Stopped’ using ‘Status’ > ‘Freeze’ - this removes the PO from the IPAP (disadvantage = we need to release again before regsuering arrival)
  • Putting the Safety Stock on such a QTY that the limited amount of Repairs does not have a major impact on production (is not a very structured solution)

Looking forward to any tips this community might have!

best Regards

Roel

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Can’t we use Part Availability Control with issue control setting for this specific part and the location?  Then, we can see On Hand Qty unchanged but Usable Qty and Available Qty would change.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Can’t we use Part Availability Control with issue control setting for this specific part and the location?  Then, we can see On Hand Qty unchanged but Usable Qty and Available Qty would change.

Thanks for the reply @Piyal Perera !

i don’t think the PAC is relevant to this case. PAC is only applicable to parts that are on stock, correct? In our case, these are still Purchase orders that need to come in. With the PAC we can indeed exclude stuff from the MRP/IPAP so it won’t take those parts into account. But it doesn’t exclude the ‘Refurbished’ parts that are still coming in through the Purchase orders. Unless I am mistaken somewhere….

best Regards

Roel Timmermans

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi All,

Does anyone have any additional info on this topic?

The IPAP does not make any distinction on condition code. So even when the condition code = ‘DAMAGED’, the IPAP counts this as expected supply - while it is clearly not usable. How do we explain to IFS that certain condition codes cannot be used for forecast in the demand/supply?

(PS. I don’t believe the Part Availability control is a solution because as long as the part is not on stock, the PAC are not set - so that does not seem to help.)

Best Regards

Roel

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Another thought is to change the part ownership to ‘customer-owned’ for the PO line with the DAMAGED condition code part until it reaches Received, for sure that PO line won’t appear in IPAP counts. Then when it receives we can change whatever we want and move to a specified location. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Another thought is to change the part ownership to ‘customer-owned’ for the PO line with the DAMAGED condition code part until it reaches Received, for sure that PO line won’t appear in IPAP counts. Then when it receives we can change whatever we want and move to a specified location. 

Hi @Piyal Perera ,

Thanks again for the reply and the cooperation. I really appreciate it.

The ‘Customer owned’ option did not yet cross my mind. It is indeed an option to keep the PO line out of the IPAP. Another way that I have currently found is to put the PO in status ‘Freezed’ and Release it again just before we do the receipt. At this point, that still sounds like the most feasible solution.

Unfortunately, the customer is not really happy with this. He still doesn’t understand why a Condition Code like ‘DAMAGED’ is taken into consideration into the IPAP (and actually I agree with him). It doesn’t make much sense that such a condition code would be considered viable for fulfilling demand on a Customer order of Shop order :-s. 

Do you have any idea what the view of IFS is on this situation?

best Regards

Roel

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Part Condition codes are defined by the user. Simply, It could be anything. In this issue, from the customer’s perspective, it is natural to understand that DAMAGED parts should not be treated as supply. But, IFS application is unable to evalute purpose of a user defined condition code.

Anyway, when you define Condition code you can define with a PAC ID as well. But, that setting also not validated in PO line level, instead may be in Location level.