Solved

Demand Planner - Qty Rounding

• 16 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Is there a way to have demand planner round the qty numbers that are imported into forecast 0 similar to the way the site setting Qty Calc Rounding works at the site and part level?

The parts loaded into MS1 have 16 digits to the right of the decimal point, but the site and parts are set to have a qty calc rounding set to 0.

The data in the IPAP screen does not get rounded to 0 either. 

Please let me know.

Thanks for your help. 

icon

Best answer by inmino 17 February 2022, 14:54

View original

4 replies

Badge +4

There is no way to round the forecast numbers from demand planning. You can set the main Demand Planning client to have 0 decimals in the Forecast Table, but when adjusting the forecast from aggregated levels the resulting forecast will be with decimal points, so will the forecast be when it’s calculated. 

The reason for this is that it is not smart to round the forecast, is that the forecast is used for further calculations in MS/MRP/IPR and its never vice to round the number in the middle of an calculation (it introduces rounding errors), you should round at the end for the calculation.

Example: Say the forecast in 0.5 per period, in MS you choose to add together 4 periods as the lot/batch size. This will give you a lot size of 2 units, but if you round the forecast before MS the lot size will become 4 which is a huge difference.

I am not an expert in all details in MS but I think that you can setup decimal rules in there so that you don’t show any decimals.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks for the feedback.  Makes sense.  

Badge +2

if the  part is defined as serialized and  lets assume , system generated  the forecast with decimal, when importing the forecast to master scheduling level 1 then system shows without decimal.

Badge +4

Hi

In Demand Planning all parts are treated the same way serialized and no serialized, they will all have a forecast with decimal points, in the Exported Forecast (this is where demand planning puts the resulting forecast so that the other IFS components in need of a forecast can retrieve it) in this table/view all forecast are with decimals (as many as we can compute), to minimize the rounding error as mentioned in previous post.

As mentioned in previous post the Import to MS job/MS can round the numbers. I am not all that familiar with the Import Demand Planning Forecast job to MS/MS and how it works in detail, try to post a question in a Master Scheduling tread and you should get a answer how rounding is done in MS.