Question

Combination off Putaway + Default location?

• 28 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 2 replies

Hello,

Am using Apps 9.18 and are looking into Putaway functionality. Is there any way of using it in combination with Default location on Inventory Part at goods receiving?

What I’m looking for is 

1. If the part have a Default Location, Putway functionality should move the part to that location.
  2. If no Default Location exist, putaway should use regular rules/ranking to select best location for the part.

I expect according to the Online help that Putway should only be visible in Purchase Order Receipt when Receive Case is Receive to Arrival, Perform Putaway. But it also available and possible to use when I have the Receive into Arrival case. Else it would have been easy to use the normal “Move to location” option for parts with default location, but its not visible in a good way now, unless I add Default Location as Custom Field to LU ReceiptInventoryLocation.

br Emma

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @EmmaE ,

Firstly, when Receive Case is Receive to Arrival, Perform Putaway then system will automatically perform perform putaway after receiving but for Receive to Arrival you will have the option to perform putway manually from receipt.

You can restrict the perform putaway execution for those part having the default location specified in inventory part through a custom event but I believe this would not be the best solution as you may tend to overload the location as Move to location  doesn't perform any check on the available capacity of the location.

You can achieve the required solution by defining the putaway zone with Rank 1 against the inventory parts where the storage zone will the default inventory location and other putaway zone from rank 2  can be defined against the site/asset class/commodity group 2 such that when you perform putaway in the receipt, system will check for the default location of the part first and then move on to different locations if the default location doesn't have enough capacity. Here you need to do bit more administrative work as you need to create storages zones for default locations and assign it to  inventory parts.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Mithun K V

Badge +2

Thanks for help @EqeMithuV. I will go back and do some more testing with the settings for receive case. I didn't see any difference in my initial testing, but will redo them for sure, I must have missed something.

I had the same idea regarding creating a specific zones as default locations, depending on how many parts we’ll end up with we’ll probably go for this setup.

Thanks!