Solved

Reporting expenses in MWO in different timezone from application server

• 10 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi,

A company has a site (101) located in Sweden and the application server timezone is also in Sweden. Now if a technician from that site 101 needs to travel to another country to work on a work task (like Sri Lanka), when they report an expense and use the current mobile time in Sri Lanka which is 4 and half hours ahead, you will get a failed transaction that the transaction time cannot be a future date.

We cannot set the time offset for that site as there are employees working in that site. One solution is to not change the timezone of your mobile device, however are there other solutions functionally that someone can take to avoid this problem? Or is keeping the timezone on your mobile device the same as Sweden’s timezone the only option here?

Another example would be if there is a site located in the U.S and they travel to other states for their work tasks which have different timezones. They will face this issue as well. Appreciate any help I can get.

icon

Best answer by James Ashmore 10 March 2021, 15:31

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi, Mwo only look for device time and server time with site offset. if the server in US and task site in Lkp as an example you need to set the correct site offset for site Lkp. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Bandula,

Sorry for the confusion. Those are two different examples. One example is Server is in Sweden and technician also from Sweden but travelling to Sri Lanka to work on their work task. He is also changing the timezone on his device to match Sri Lanka’s timezone.

Second example is more realistic example. Server is in US but mobile user travelling to different states in US with different timezones. I think the mobile user is changing his timezone to match the timezone he is in. Then also they will face the problem.

Without changing the mobile’s timezone, is there anything else we can do functionally?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Ibrahim, As discussed, we (core solution) only support a single time zone per site. We’ll see anyone else got any workaround for this,

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

As a workaround to this issue we added the device Time Zone to the Device Location Logs that are captured on the WO state changes and on a frequency. If you add a custom field on the WO you can then use an event to update the WO with the “real” device date/time based in the state change device location and time zone set on this record.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi James,

Thanks for that. I think since this is based on specific business requirements, maybe custom events might be a good alternative to suggest. 

I think functionally there is probably not much else you can do. 

Thanks for all the responses guys, I think we have some solid workarounds that the customer can use.

Best Regards,
Ibrahim

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

FYI.. I test auto-time and manual time records with a device time ahead and don’t see a FT. It uses site time (with offset) if time is future, This is App10 - upd11.