Question

Showing Overtime without Base Time in Job Rate Management

• 8 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Currently, based on our testing we cannot find a way to create an overtime cost line using the Job Rate Management without it including also the base time. Ideally, for analysing the detail we’d like to see the overtime cost lines without a base cost element.

It is not an option to create an overtime cost type as a fixed cost because any calculations (such as pension) which are based on base wage, would not get generated for overtime in that scenario.

We are now getting two entries for overtime - one which is base and another which is the 50% addition to base, but ideally we’d want to be able to set this up to see only overtime entry at 150%. This would help with analysis and budget comparisons to keep base time lines separate from overtime.

Has anyone come up with a solution?

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Ieva,

The purpose of the Override Basis parameter is partly to handle this type of scenario. By switching this on for your Job Cost Type for Overtime and base this on the Job Cost Type for Base, it should replace the Base one in the Job Cost Details.

One challenge in your example is that you wish to also have pension etc calculated on top of the base rate, which would not be there if you override it. To get around this, I think you should be able to create a ‘Basic_Rate’ or similar for the employee wage rate, then have both the Base (at 100%), the Overtime (at 150%) as well as pension etc be based on this value with an override. This means that if the employee works basic hours, the system would get the Basic_Rate, but then effectively replace it with the Base Job Cost Type, and if they instead work overtime, it would be replaced with the Overtime one.

Just a slight caveat that it’s been a little while since I looked at Job Rate Management at this level of detail, so I may remember slightly incorrectly, but it is something you could perhaps try out.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Johan

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Thanks, Johan,

Really appreciate you coming back to me.

Based on my testing the override basis slider works but not for a scenario where (e.g. pension) is based on base salary also for any overtime.

I created two base cost job types - one where I set the rate and another which is overridden.

Unfortunately, when a transaction is created, this causes an issue because the Pension line is based on “BASIS” and this is never displayed (it’s overridden).