Question

Project Activity Classes

• 19 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I’m curious to know how, or if, anyone is using Activity Classes.

I can see that Activity Classes are set up in the Project Management Basic Data however I’m unsure of what the Value element of the object refers to and how it is used within the system.

We’re thinking that it could be a useful data tag for some specific project reporting that we have to produce but want to understand a little more it’s actual purpose and any potential system impact if used incorrectly.

Any pointers gratefully received, thanks

3 replies

Badge +1

Activity Classes can be used to categorize Activities. You can define an Activity Class and Values in Project Basic Data and connect the created Activity Class and the relevant Value to a particular Activity. Value is used to further categorize the Activities connected to a particular Activity Class. You can setup Activity Classes and Values according to your organizational requirements. Activity Classes and Values are for information purpose only and has no other system impact.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thanks Anjalee, 

I could see where it was all set up but couldn’t work out what the value was used for. Your explanation has cleared that up, really helpful, thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi Lee,

It can be used for multiple things, but come to my mind immediately

• Project reporting, where you want to divide the cost or progress based on the classes of the activities e.g type of activity, location of activity, phase of the activity, owner of the Scope of work, etc 
  • And in the interfacing to e.g. Primavera we have used this to fill the “custom fields” of primavera 

Hope this helps a bit

Regards Erik