Question

PMRP usage of surplus standard inventory

• 25 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hello Community -

Using IFS10, update 19 - We are looking for an option to have PMRP look at and use surplus standard inventory.  I have found help text that says this is possible but am looking for some guidance on how to set this up.  To further complicate matters, we would like to NOT use the standard inventory safety stock - just the surplus above safety stock quantities.  Is this possible?

TIA

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,

Please check attached screenshot. Look also at the help text for the column

Best Regards,

Mats

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi again,

Actually the question regarding “not touching” the safety stock is a good one. Hmmm it seems that we don’t consider safety stock in this netting :-( We are getting the non-reserved inventory onhand from nettable inventory locations and we reduce this with the open demand quantity throughout the entire horizon So a conservative method. But but… I see your point in keeping the safety stock untouched.

Well, next time you run standard MRP it will see this Material Transfer Req from STANDARD to Proj X, it will show up as a demand in MRP, and then MRP will adjust up to safety stock level again.

Always something..

I guess we need to improve here. Thanks for a good question.

-Mats

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @Dsquared,

I would switch on the ‘Automatic Transfer from Std Inventory’ flag as well. This will execute the transfer for you when the demand date is within the lead time of the part. This puts pressure on the accuracy of your lead times but they need to be as good as you can get them anyway.

The demand will consume your safety stock but in many ways it is what the safety stock is for.

Gareth

Badge +2

Hello

We’ve been testing with this flag and it works for parts where we have material in stock.

Our problem is, that PMRP generates a shop order requisition. Then MRP generates a shop order requisition to meet safety stock.

With the next run of PMRP, the not needed shop order requisition will not be removed. We would manufacture parts we don’t need in a second shop order.

Shouldn’t PMRP see the planned supply 12.10. and not plan the planned supply of 30.10.?

Thanks for your help

Daniel

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Interesting question Daniel,

When PMRP nets from standard inventory it is just what’s in inventory and not any open supply. So it does not see the “standard inventory” shop order requisition with due date 12th October. Which I think was created because of a previous “Standard Inventory => Project Inventory” material transfer requisition was executed.

Actually the system gets the inventory onhand from nettable inventory locations and then it reduces that with open demand for the standard inventory. (Basically it looks at open demand that you see in IPAP screen you have attached above)

So it is very conservative method. Considering all future demand, but NO open supply orders.

This is nothing we will change in supported tracks, but could be interesting for the future.

Best Regards,

Mats at IFS RnD