Solved

Planned Cost on Project PO preventing closure

• 7 March 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hello, 

I have several projects with connected POs that are showing a Planned Cost as well as a Used Cost. I have not seen this before, and it is preventing me from closing the Project. 

That field indicates it is read only and comes from the Planned Cost Driver selected. I do not see in the Help where it indicates how that is setup or how it can be removed. I’m also not sure why some of my POs show this, and some do not. Any guidance would be appreciated!

icon

Best answer by cjohnson 13 March 2024, 14:08

View original

9 replies

Badge +5

Some PO shows that because they have some cost associated with it, in other cases , supplier for Purchase price may not exist hence planned cost is 0

The planned cost driver option  is below

what is the error message you are getting when trying to close the project? are you uing generate unifinsh activity work item option? 

to be able to close the project you need not to have inventory on the project and all invoicing completed

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Thank you @CM6 

What doesn’t make sense is that I have POs (no part POs) with a cost defined, however there is no planned cost. In other instances, I have POs (no part POs) with a cost defined and a Planned cost set. 

In each instance, the planned cost driver is defined as Connected Object. Shouldn’t they both show a Planned cost then?

Badge +5

RMB on the demand line  ( Update or retrive planned cost option) to obtain the planned cost 

On this case you need to have a look on the process of creating the PO was, I can suspect you created the PO without an expectd price and then the price was added later on the  process of the PR or PO creation

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

@CM6 I don’t see an expected price on the PO or POR. What are you referring to? We would always fill out a price for the PO whether it was Part or No Part. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@cjohnson Purchase Order Line Object (Part/ No Part) does not report Planned Cost.

1. PO in Planned status is connected to an activity it reports Planned Committed Cost.
  2. Release the PO, then the amount moves to Committed Cost.
  3. Receive the PO, then the amount moves to Used Cost.
  4. When matched with Supplier Invoice, Actual Cost is also updated.

In all these steps Planned Cost remains zero. Project Misc Demand reports Planned Cost.

So I think in this case you need to check the Misc Demands connected to the activity where you see non-zero planned cost value.

Hope this helps !

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

@Buddhika Kurera Where would I check Misc Demands for that Activity? On the Demand tab, I see both Misc. Parts and Misc. No Part, but I do not see anything under either tab. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@cjohnson In that scenario, it seems like there is no connected demands. You can drill down the Cost Element, in this case it is EXPENSES. Then you would get the connected objects and there you can find the object(s) that report Planned Cost. Check if that object is processed. Another option would be trying Refresh Project Connections. If nothing works, I think further investigation is required on this issue.

Badge +5

seems the PO was created and then connected to the project!

do you know the process of how the  PO’s are being created? if this is the case you are never going to have planned cost. you can still close the project if all the transactions related with the PO are closed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

I was able to identify how the costs were being allocated. Every WO that is connected that has a POR generated through the WO system is allocated as a planned cost vs. a PO directly connected via the POR system. The costs remain, as the PO/PORs advance in status and do not prevent closure, provided the POs are closed/invoiced. Thanks all for the guidance!