Solved

Missing cost element in Project connections (COL with non-inventory sales part)

• 4 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

We have projects connected to / invoiced via customer orders.

The customer order lines in these cases are for non-inventory sales parts / service parts.

As the revenue numbers are not like expected (some lines are missing in actual revenue) we did some analysis, and found empty cost element fields in project connections.

Question: where can we add 

• a cost element to a non-inventory sales part?
  • a default cost element  called  “Missing Cost element”  for all missing cost elements?
  • Is there any checklist / recommendation, what masterdata is necessary to have correct calculations in a project?

Apps 10 Upd 11

Thank you for your feedback!

Regards Martina

icon

Best answer by Johan Lagerström 4 November 2022, 09:45

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Martina,

The cost element is derived from one of the values in the accounting code string. To see which specific code part you use for this purpose, please check in the Define Code String screen which code part that is set as ‘Base for Cost/Revenue Element’.

Once you know which code part is used, you have to ensure that the relevant cost postings have a value for this code part. I suspect that in this specific case the Posting Type used is M26 (Cost of Sold Non-inventory Parts), so check that this posting type is posting to the code part used.

The next step is to verify in the Cost/Revenue Element per Code Part Value screen that the specific code part is linked to a cost element. Once this has all been set up, you should get a cost element in the follow-up.

As an example, if you use Account as the base, with M26 set to the standard account of 4023, if you ensure this account is linked to e.g. the cost element for Materials you should see this on your project.

Regarding the second question, there is a checkbox called ‘Default’ in the Cost/Revenue Elements screen. If you set this checkbox for one of the cost elements then that cost element will be used if a cost element cannot be derived from the accounting code string etc as above. However, please note that by using this setting you may not notice if you are missing basic data set-up, and that cost may end up on the ‘wrong’ cost element.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Johan

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Johan, thank you very much for the great hints.

I found that we use the Cost Group as base for Cost/Revenue Element:

In Posting Control I have (now) an entry that should fit:

Do you know any option to update the data in Project connection after having added the cost/revenue element?

Thank you for your help

Badge

Hi Johan, thank you very much for the great hints.

I found that we use the Cost Group as base for Cost/Revenue Element:

In Posting Control I have (now) an entry that should fit:

Do you know any option to update the data in Project connection after having added the cost/revenue element?

Thank you for your help

Hello Alhagmo,

To update the data in Project connection after some changes in posting control or other aeras you can simply run the function “Project Connection Refresh Runs” RMB and select “Refresh Project Connections”.

You can run it for a whole company level if you want with the following setup.

Regards,