Question

Work centre resource

• 20 May 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Morning 

We are using IFS apps 10 and I have been reviewing work centre capacities and have noticed large discrepancies in average capacity and demonstrated capacity but cant understand why?

the work centre below is for a welding work centre with an average capacity of 7.15 hr but a demonstrated capacity of 39.6 hr. Available and theoretical capacity are both showing 7.75 hr per day.

When reviewing the resource detail the capacity calculation base is set at group with a resource quantity of 5 to reflect the 5 welders working within this work centre (all with the same labour class) and group utilisation at 90% .

does any one know the cause of the discrepancy?

kind regards

Jamie

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @jamiewhite ,

Since the calculation of Demonstrated Capacity is based on the past actual working hours the shop order operations have utilized in the work center, I think, the past shop order operations (shop order operations within the date range considered for the calculation) may have been over-utilized with this work center. As I understand, different shop order operations have utilized this work center to be utilized that much of hours daily as the average.

You can check the past work center utilization details from the Machine Load per Work Center window, then you can see why it has that much of demonstrated capacity.

Thank you and Best Regards

Thushitha

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks Thushitha

Just checked and you are exactly correct. 

I think the way we are using the work centres could be incorrect and not best practice. Within our one work centre we have 5 welding bays and 5 shop floor operators all set up to do a different operation within the routing and non of the operations can be done in parallel. The parts is processed in a standard lot size of 1. 

Currently when MRP runs it might schedule op 10 to 5 parts at once but in reality we can only work on 1 at a time.

In your opinion would it be better to create a work centre for each of the welding bays so we are able to schedule with more accuracy?

regards

Jamie