Question

Very slow - part status

• 15 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi. 

we are using apps 10 and run MRP site wide once a week that generate over 30,000 action messages after every run. Looking at the date over two thirds of the messages are ‘ No Demand Exists’ for parts with a frequency class of Very Slow ( No transaction over the past year). 

the part status of all these parts are set at A (active), should we change the setting to O (obsolete) to prevent MRP creating any demand and as a result hopefully reduce the number of MRP action messages we generate?

what is best practice?

kind regards

Jamie 

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Jamie,

Interesting question, would be interesting to hear from other customers, how they manage very slow movers when it comes to MRP.

And yes, it has an impact on MRP performance. How many parts that are loaded into MRP does matter. BUT when writing about this, the main drivers for MRP performance are:

• Number of open Customer Order Line Demands (or other independent demands for your products)
  • And if you use master scheduling - number of master schedule receipts (dependent on number of distinct forecast events)
  • Number of components in the BOM (not so much the depth of the BOM)

Because this situation will create all those MRP planned supplies and demands.

If you want to exclude a part from MRP, and hence improve performance a little bit, you can assign the part to an Inventory Part Status which has “Demand Not Allowed”.

You can also use the not so known MRP Control flag which you find in Manufacturing Part Attributes. If you unselect this flag, the part will be excluded from MRP.

Working with Inventory Part Status is somewhat nicer I think.

There is another interesting flag for MRP in basic data for Inventory Part Status and that is the Supply Allowed flag.

For a part which is connected to a part status where demands are allowed and supplies are not allowed, MRP will see this guy, but it will not create any MRP planned supplies for it.

We should not forget about query performance in MRP Actions Proposals screens. If I quote you Jamie “...Looking at the date over two thirds of the messages are ‘ No Demand Exists’ for parts with a frequency class of Very Slow...” => Getting rid of all these parts from MRP engine will also get rid of the two thirds of the messages ‘No Demand Exists’.

-Mats

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@majose thankyou for your reply. This is a legacy problem within the company i work for and has been like this for many years, as a result planning and procurement do not trust the mass of data and work offline which create another world of problems.

I think i will start with changing the inventory part  status on all slow moving inventory to Obsolete which should reduce a lot of the noise MRP is creating, validate customer order and project demand, and then tackle open shop orders (WIP) which has been open for some time.

hopefully this should clean a lot of the unwanted data and then it will be a case on maintaining it.

regards

Jamie