Solved

Textile Manufacturing

• 26 July 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I have a customer whose industry is Textiles (rolls of fabric).  The fabric can stretch during the manufacturing process.  For example a roll might be 2000 ft when it is loaded onto the ream, at the end of production the fabric stretched and we were able to produce 2020 ft.  

We have set up the roll as Reserve/Issue of Manual and the other components as reserve/backflush from floor stock.

The customer does not run 1 roll of 2000 ft but more like 10,000 ft.  What I am finding is that even though we have set up our rolls as Manual (reserve/issue), the system wants to overcome from the next roll.  If we select ‘simplified’ on the receipt of shop order, then we receive an error on the items to be backflushed from floor stock.

Ideally we would want to be able to select simplified for the rolls and backflush for the other components.

How would we set this up to accomplish this?  This is a typical industry requirement.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by TBrown 26 July 2021, 19:57

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@TBrown Ty this,

Set the fabric to Reserve and Backflush to Manual as now and other material to operation connected, with the “Issue Overreported Qty” checked in the material lines. When you report more, other material will issue accordingly and you can use the Simplified option at receive to avoid issue more material for fabric. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Unfortunately that did not work.  I received the same results.  It consumed the overage against the other role reserved.

There has to be a method considering this industry for this to work rather than using both ‘manual’ reserve/issue method for fabric and normal backflush on floor stock.

Any other suggestions?  I am willing to test out any idea.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I really think this could be a BUG.  As I have already reserved the part displayed in the Error Message.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@TBrown the purpose of setting “Issue Overreported Qty” check box ticked and material connect to operation is to over issue other material depend on the receipt lot size of Shop Order. I think that what you need for the other materials except Fabric?

For Fabric is you when you set “Issue Overreported Qty” check box unticked it will not report more than planed. 

Simplified Material Check
If this check box is selected, it indicates that the part(s) can be received with a lesser amount of materials issued than the required quantity, provided that all material lines, except for non consumed materials, are in the Issued status. This functionality is not available for multilevel tracked parts.

I think in the screenshot you shared, seems the material is not issued at all. That’s why you get the error. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thank you for the reply.  We do not have the Issue Overreported Qty checked on the Fabric.

They would only like to reserve as there are many rolls and each roll has its’ own Handling Unit, which makes this scenario more complex.

If you are saying the only option we have is to ISSUE the material, then I will convey that to the customer.

Although if you look at Help for Reserve/Issue for Manual, the following is stated which appears leading to the confusion of IFS functionality:

Manual: Material needs to be manually reserved or issued.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Reserve/Issue Method
The value determines how the material is allowed to be reserved/issued to the shop orders. Possible values are:

Reserve: Except when performing manual issue, material needs to be reserved before issuing can be done. - meaning no Automatic backflush

Backflush: Only manual reservations can be done, if not reserved, material will be issued by backflush. - meaning no Automatic reservation

Reserve and Backflush: Automatic reservation and backflush are both allowed. meaning both allowed

Manual: Material needs to be manually reserved or issued. - meaning no Automatic reservation or backflash allowed, only manual reservation or issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I will convey this to the customer.  Although the OR in the help is very misleading

Manual: Material needs to be manually reserved or issued. - meaning no Automatic reservation or backflash allowed, only manual reservation or issue.   One would interpret this as I can reserve and overreport using my same reserved amount from my Lot or HU without it consuming the other reserved roll.

I think this is an area which requires improvement via the Idea Wall for Textile Manufacturing.  Typically Textile Manufacturing is 1 or 2 rolls of fabric, it is 5000 rolls and have high speed manufacturing process.

I will convey to my customer,

Thank you so much for responding to my inquiries on this topic.  It does make things clearer as to what the system does and does not do.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Actually the only option which will work is issuing the rolls. The problem the customer will have is each roll has it’s own Handling Unit.  The shop order finished product will have it’s own handling unit referencing which roll handling unit went into the finished product handling unit.  They will lose visibility of parent/child relationship on the handling unit is they issue all the rolls at once.  Issuing one roll at a time is not an option as there might be 1000 rolls required for production.

I believe we will need to do a customization on this textile process.

Also add something to the Idea Wall.