Question

Resource allocation against a demand on Project Activity

• 4 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi

You can enter resource demand (planned hours) in the Project Navigator, however limited to linear spreading between activity start/finish date. More sophisticated spreading options exists if you enter the hours in Project Resource Forecast and then “transfer to planning” (to Project Navigator). Note that the spreading, e.g. frontloaded, remains in Project Navigator, i.e. until you might change it there.

Thus, what I would like to understand is whether it is possible to allocate employees towards a spread demand, e.g. frontloaded, and spread the allocation similarly to the demand, or if I am “stuck” with an option to only have linearly spread allocation within the allocation period.

I do realize that there are challenges/prerequisites for spreading allocation equal to  demand, e.g. if you chose to allocate in only a subset of the demand period because how then would you spread. On the other hand, a typical need would be to simply accommodate a demand fully, both with respect to hours, duration and spreading.

We want to establish some lobbies with e.g. traffic lights for Project Managers, e.g. so that they can see if their project is OK as far as allocation go, i.e. if allocations (commitments) have been given from resource owners. However, if a Project Manager has a frontloaded demand but the allocation is only stored linearly, then it will appear as if there are problems in the early months of an activity, because allocations are lower than demand…

What have others done in this situation?

b.r. Carsten

PS: I am aware that we could make a Custom RMB to update the data via SQL behind the scenes, but this is not so beatiful…

PPS: We are on 10.8

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi, Don’t know whether you tried with different Project spread profiles and then Transfer to Resource Planning.

Badge +1

Hi

Yes, I know about spreading in Project Resource Forecast and subsequent transfer to planning, as I described. This works fine for the DEMAND side, i.e. the planned hours. 
However, what I would like was for the SUPPLY, i.e. the allocated hours, to follow the same spreading as the DEMAND, so that the allocation on day level reflects best possibly when the hours are truly expected to be laid down.

Best regards, Carsten

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Carsten,

Your point is very valid. It’s like we are getting a snap shot of the optimum resource allocation which was real and will be used in similar projects as a Resource Forecast. 

I also cannot find such option. May be some one in IFS R&D may respond. 

I have a suggestion to IFS R&D to incorporate additional spread methods in to Project Navigator, so that we can Use Copy Resource Planning option when creating new Resource forecast. 

Correct me if I am wrong Carsten.

BR, Thushan

Badge +1

Sure, it would be nice with the spreading options in Project Navigator as well, and I am sure IFS would do that if they did that now. 

The reason for the lack of spreading is simply the systems evolution, i.e. that spreading what not on the agenda until the making of the Project Resource Forecast screen, i.e. when the Project Navigator had existed a long time.

Some day I expect that they will prioritize transferring that option to Project Navigator.

b.r. Carsten