Question

Raw Material planning - Silo consumption

• 28 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The Shop Orders at our customers often have a long through put time while the raw materials are located in silos with a limited capacity.

In IFSCloud the MRP proposals for the total component quantity of the shop order are placed on the start date of the order.

Is there a technique in IFS to spread the supply/ receipts proportionally to the demand consumption over the lead time of the shop orders so that the silos are regularly refilled with a smaller chance of overflow? 

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

If you are using Product Structures not Recipe Structures, would the following work?

• Current:
    • Product Structure for Part A consists of Part B, QPA = 1.
    • I have a Shop Order for 1000 of A.
    • With this setup, MRP would plan for 1000 B due in inventory at the start of the shop order for A.
  • Proposal:
    • Product Structure for Part A consists of (4) lines of Part B, each QPA = 0.25.
    • For three of these component lines, I set the Lead Time Offset (LTO) to a value that will gap/delay the date requirements of each component batch.
    • I have a shop order for 1000 A where it will take three days to consume a batch of component B. The first batch (B1) I need at the beginning of the order (Day 1 or D1) but the LTO would set B2 required date to D4, B3 to D7, and B4 to D10.

See this thread for additional use of LTO to overlap succeeding shop order.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thx Matt, it’s a great manual work around to to match consumption to staggered demand.  

I had hoped there was a feature to automate the spread. 

It seems that our customer does have this function in SAP.

Thx anyway.  / Willy

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

@Willy Mandiau you may want to consider using Order Gap Time on the component inventory part, if it is a manufactured part. The use of this to control how many shop requisitions for the component due per day are created and when they are due is covered here.

Badge +3

@matt.watters, is there a way to also do this for by-product components? The original component would still be listed as the main component but there would be by-product that can be used in it’s place… Finance has asked that we do not change the Product Structure so we would need to make adjustments to the by-product part to reflect the LTO differences. Would it be the same concept even if it’s listed under the By-Product tab and not under Components? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

@zwall are you referring to 1) alternate components for standard BOM components, 2) by-products produced and received during production of the shop order part, or 3) by-products that are listed on the By-Products/Produced Parts tab but are also listed as components in the BOM because they are produced, received, and then issued to the shop order as a component?