Question

Part Revision Issue

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello everyone.  We’re on IFS 10 update 11.  We’ve recently noticed an issue with part revisions that has us very concerned.  We’ve reported the issue to IFS but haven’t got any resolution or information about what may be causing this issue.  Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.

When an Engineering Part is up-rev'd and transferred, the most current existing Inventory Revision should be phased out and a new Inventory Revision created with a new phase in date correlating to the new Engineering Revision. Current orders that are in process such as started Shop Orders, or closed orders such as Purchase Orders, Shop Orders, Structures and Inventory Parts in Stock should retain their revision. However, we have observed that the revision of the parts on closed PO's, Shop Order Structures, and Inventory in stock are all updated. Instead of the current Inventory Part Revision with the former Engineering Revision being phased out, it is being overwritten.

7 replies

Badge +2

We’re having this issue too. I haven’t been able to figure out what causes this to happen; if it’s something on IFS’ end, during the Engineering Part setup, or during Transfer.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

We are having a similar issue as well. We are still using IFS 9. Does it seem to matter on the part type? So far we have only noticed the issue on Inventory Parts that are expense parts. 

For us  it seems to blow away the revisions in the inventory part but you can still see that there were revisions created and transferred to site. And also updates on Purchase orders, since it is an expense part we don't carry the inventory. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@Hard2Handle can’t down load the attachment. If you say that the Revision changes in existing SO etc., I believe it is a serious issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

This has been happening to me since we started using IFS (November 2018). But it only happens on Purchase Type Inventory Parts. Whenever I transfer the third revision to Inventory Part, it overwrites the second revision. Then I have to manually fix it on the Part Revision screen.

I believe there is a rule that prevents more than two Tentative Product Structures existing, so if you try to transfer a third it will overwrite the second. I think there is some code bug at play somewhere here.

Cheers,

Wade

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

In your Part Transfer Templates for Purchased and Purchased (Raw), do you have the checkbox ticked for ‘Create Part Revision for each Eng Revision’? If not, you will always have only one inventory part revision with previous revision records being removed from the Inventory Part Revisions tab.

@ConMan from the documentation regarding the ‘no more than two Tentative Product Structures’ at one time:

• If no tentative revision exists, the system will either create the first revision, as is the case when the part is new to the manufacturing site, or it will create a revision that is numbered sequentially from the latest revision that is presently buildable. This situation will occur except when the first revision is tentative, the system will not use the first tentative revision, instead system will create a second tentative revision. When additional revisions are transferred, the system will overwrite the structure of the second revision until the second revision is made buildable. Any unwanted tentative revisions for the parts should be canceled before the transfer, in order to avoid overwriting.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7

In your Part Transfer Templates for Purchased and Purchased (Raw), do you have the checkbox ticked for ‘Create Part Revision for each Eng Revision’? If not, you will always have only one inventory part revision with previous revision records being removed from the Inventory Part Revisions tab.

@ConMan from the documentation regarding the ‘no more than two Tentative Product Structures’ at one time:

• If no tentative revision exists, the system will either create the first revision, as is the case when the part is new to the manufacturing site, or it will create a revision that is numbered sequentially from the latest revision that is presently buildable. This situation will occur except when the first revision is tentative, the system will not use the first tentative revision, instead system will create a second tentative revision. When additional revisions are transferred, the system will overwrite the structure of the second revision until the second revision is made buildable. Any unwanted tentative revisions for the parts should be canceled before the transfer, in order to avoid overwriting.

Hi Matt,

I had no idea this flag existed, thanks for the suggestion :)

I will test it out immediately!

Cheers,

Wade

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Matt,

I had no idea this flag existed, thanks for the suggestion :)

I will test it out immediately!

Cheers,

Wade

Hi Matt,

I tried this out in our TEST environment and got three good results from three transfers!

I have had an open ticket with IFS to fix this for months, once it works enough times in the PROD environment, I will close the ticket.

Cheers,

Wade