Question

Not enough material when receiving

• 24 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

When receiving on the workbench IFS gives the rather generic error “not enough material has been issued”  What is the easiest way  for shop floor user to specifically identify which material is the problem? 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

RMB from the order in question to Shop Order Availability

Tick the Only Show Shortages box and then look for what is short, it should be a short list.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

The problem is it also shows anything that needs to be issued for future receipts. As an example our machines use rolls of film  A shop order may  need 4 or 5 roll changes . It doesn’t show what material is actually short right now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Alex,

The error is raised when all material lines on the shop order have not been issued according to the quantity you try to receive. (when receiving without backflush). I guess ideally the error message would state what component(s) that are not issued to enough quantity. However it could be lots of components why it might not be practically possible to list them all in such message.

The best I can think of is to create a quick report that you can launch from a shop order in shop floor workbench. In this report you can input the quantity you want to receive, and the report lists all material lines where Issued Qty < (Qty to Receive x Qty per Assembly). If you have planned operation scrap I guess that should also be considered in the calculation.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi Bjorn - typically in our experience it is just one material that is stopping that specific receipt.  While I suppose it could be much more couldn’t you limit it to a reasonable number and if it’s over X say “multiple parts”.  Please remember these are shop floor employees. and giving them a quick answer without having to open other reports etc would greatly increase plant efficiency as this happens rather frequently.  I think this is also dependent on the type of manufacturing. We are producing  huge volumes of parts with very few components so for us it takes a lot of time to analyze this.   Many of our bills of materials are 2 or 3 lines. Obviously IFS knows what is stopping it so it seems a rather simple matter to say “We can’t receive this because there is not enough of component xxx issued” but I may not understand the programming issue.  I don’t believe it’s necessary to even calculate the quantity  as everything is issued in batches anyway

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Alex Ivkovic  I agree it would be useful if the message could be enhanced (when one or few components only). Please feel free to create a request for this in the Idea section of the community!