Solved

MS Forecast consumption - Same Day Customer orders

• 14 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +5
  • Sidekick (Partner)
  • 10 replies

Hello,

I’m trying to understand the forecast consumption logic for a scenario where you have a Customer Order raised & delivered in between running MS Level 1 calculations. I ran a test and I’m not 100% sure I understand some of the system behavior.

I set a part to have a forwards consumption of 10 days, backwards consumption of 0 days and ran MS Level 1 Calc with some existing data:

I then created a new Customer Order for QTY 2 with a planned delivery date of 20/02/24, but then immediately released, picked & delivered it today (14/02/24).

I then re-ran MS Level 1:

I can see the on-hand has reduced from 13 to 11 - OK

The forecast value itself has reduced from 5 to 3 on 19/02/24 - I wasn’t expecting this...

Why does the forecast number itself reduce rather than just showing as consumed?

Why did this change the forecast data on the 19/02/24 and not the forecast data on 16/02/24?

Edit to add some more parameters:

DTF = 0 days

PTF = 15 Days

5 day/week calendar

icon

Best answer by majose 15 February 2024, 15:31

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,

When the parts are shipped out through the door, forecasts and consumed forecast gets reduced. It actually happens when you deliver the customer order line - same transaction. So if you stopped just after:

"I then created a new Customer Order for QTY 2 with a planned delivery date of 20/02/24, but then immediately released, picked & delivered it today (14/02/24)."

...And then refreshed your “Master Schedule Grid” you would have seen that the forecast and unconsumed forecast would have been been updated. System needs to do this - the forecast is indeed materialized.

It reduces the forecast and consumed forecast based on the due date of the customer order line. First it goes backward from due date. So here it does not use the actual delivery date. If it can’t find enough forecast and consumed forecast to reduce, while going backward, then it changes direction IF YOU HAVE FORWARD Consumption window. 

When you run the level 1 calculation, it will always consume forward in your case (up to 10 days), since your backward consumption is set to 0.

Hope this helps

-Mats

Badge +5

As always @majose , great answer thank you!