Skip to main content
Solved

MRP Creating Requisitions for MS Level 1 Parts

• 7 June 2024
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I’m in 23R1 and seeing some unexpected behaviour with MS Level 1 parts when I run Site level MRP.

I have 20 Manufactured parts that are MS Level 1 parts. Create S/P is set to create S/P Entire Horizon and when I run the MS calculation, everything works as I expect and Shop Order Requisitions are generated.

If I then run selective MRP based on the Planner these parts share, the demand flows down and MRP generates Purchase Requisitions for the component parts.

However, if I run MRP for the entire Site, MRP generates a handful of Shop Orders for the MS Level 1 parts. I did some investigating and this seems to happen if the on-hand quantity is below the safety stock.

If I Re-Run MS after this, the MRP generated requisitions are then deleted.

Is this a bug? The parts are top-level sales parts and not in any other structures. 

Requisitions Generated by both MS & MRP for the same part:

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Katie,

We did a correction in 23r1 Service Update 10.

The heading of this is: “CS0192110 MRP covers safety stock for MS Level1 Part”

Hope this helps

-Mats

Badge +6

Hi @majose 

Thanks for this. I have a follow up question in case you are able to help - Do you know if MRP response to other demand sources for MS L1 parts is also covered by this service update?

I noticed MRP is also creating requisitions for MS L1 parts when I have an Ext Customer Order showing in IPAP on the supply site (these don’t show in the supply site MS grid).

This happens when I release a CO on the demand site, but it is blocked (e.g. due to credit limit). The Supply code on the CO is “Int Purch Dir”.

The MRP Reqs are deleted when I re-run MS.

In the Site to Site reservation & availability set-up I have the following, so as the CO is in ‘blocked’ status I wouldn’t expect to see it in IPAP,  just as I can’t see it in MS.

I’m not sure how best to report this I have raised a case with IFS about the blocked orders showing in IPAP, as I guess the root cause is the Blocked Orders appearing as demand in IPAP. However, the knock on impact is MRP is then responding and generating Reqs, which is the bit that’s actually causing me the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @Katie,

Please refer below post which would answer your concern.

BR,

Thilini

Badge +6

Hi @Thilini Wijesinghe Thanks for this - it explains why I see the demand in IPAP and MRP creates supply (when the part is set to be MRP controlled)

However I am still unclear why when the part is set to be Master Scheduled, the Blocked Customer order is NOT treated as demand and so supplies are not generated.

My original assumption was that MS is behaving correctly and MRP/IPAP is incorrect (as this would be my preference).

However I believe both MS & MRP should either count these blocked COs as demand or not, so could accept that MS is behaving incorrectly. Is this what you are saying?

Surely there is no reason for MS & MRP to have a different demand definition for blocked COs?

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @Katie,

This specific issue with respect to blocked COs not included in MS is currently investigated from CS0233003 by the IFS Support team. I will keep you posted of the final outcome once investigations are finished using this community thread.

BR,

Thilini

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @Katie 

We should really dig into this, this really looks suspicious. In 24R1 we have tighten up some code, so that MRP can’t create requisitions for parts that are planned by MS and where the requisition’s only should be generated from MS.

Still we should dig into this:

“I noticed MRP is also creating requisitions for MS L1 parts when I have an Ext Customer Order showing in IPAP on the supply site (these don’t show in the supply site MS grid).” 

Best Regards,

Mats

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @Katie 

We should really dig into this, this really looks suspicious. In 24R1 we have tighten up some code, so that MRP can’t create requisitions for parts that are planned by MS and where the requisition’s only should be generated from MS.

Still we should dig into this:

“I noticed MRP is also creating requisitions for MS L1 parts when I have an Ext Customer Order showing in IPAP on the supply site (these don’t show in the supply site MS grid).” 

Best Regards,

Mats

@majose  -  We just upgraded to 23R2 and are seeing weird requisition behavior as well. Released staus being changed back to Planned during MRP run. Is this a related bug? Can we revert MRP behavior to leave them released?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@majose - Disregard, we found the ‘Use Released Purchase Req in Planning’ setting in Site / Planning configuration that controls this.