Question

Material Requisitions - Default Create Status

• 15 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to make Material Requisitions default to create in a Planned status? I know this is configurable for POs & Shop Orders (etc.) but I can’t see any settings for Material Requisitions to default this.

We COULD event it but I would worry that the event would fire while the req is being filled out and then cause an error and the user would have to start over.

Hoping someone can assist and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Andy

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

This question has been previously raised by few users.

Please see below explanation given by RnD.

The functionality of the Material Requisition is and has always been very simple, with the purpose to
support keeping track of parts that are issued within the own inventory and company. This implies that
someone requests goods to be issued with the Material Requisition as a basis, or even so that the goods is first issued and then afterwards the Material Requisition is entered to reflect the reality. The
normal behavior of a general business process would be to whenever they consume the materials required for the production beyond the buffer stocks or when they reach the reorder point they will request the materials from the own warehouse inventory. This is a firm decision since they already know and fixed for a reorder point in order to maintain continuous production floor.

And obviously there is a lead time for receiving the requested stock, in which the buffer stock satisfy the flow. So therefore since it is a firm decision the requisitioner authorized for flagging up the demand requirement for the respective inventory part will instantly create a material requisitioner when the stocks in hand has come to the reorder point. By simplify having the flexibility where the status is directly set to Released, it reduces the complexity of the state handling and make the life of the requisitioner easier.

If you ask me what's the real value of having the "released" state as the default one, it is to help the planner to have a real time view on the demand requirements of that specific part which has the real value when it is visible with the time frames. Obviously the reorder points will differ in different inventory parts hence we cannot say that we are accumulating all the requirements over a time period and for example release the material requisition on a specific day of the month.

Since this will obviously affect the lead time and would not have any value on having materials on time or giving the planner correct insights of the demand requirement with the time. The customer seems to be having an exceptional and unique process which cannot be accepted as a general behavior. As per your comment “Currently there is no way of SC or Warehouse staff knowing if the released Mat Requisition is completed or not”, the customer’s practice sounds very exceptional.

They seem to be having business practice where they will accumulate all the material requirements as material requirement lines and release the Material requirements at once (may be a specific day of the month in a given time period by a department).

Obviously the reorder points will differ in different inventory parts hence we cannot say that we are accumulating all the requirements over a time period and for example release the material requisition on a specific day of the month.

Since this will obviously affect the lead time and would not have any value on having materials on time or giving the planner correct insights of the demand requirement with the time. Hence this is how the system has worked since the 99 release, and no bug correction has changed this handling.

This  functionality of the Material Requisition is working as designed, this means that to simplify the handling, the status is directly set to Released, since it was not considered to be any need for a Planned status. If this status "Planned" would be implemented, this would add complexity to the state handling.

But as for the customer’s concern if this is really adding value to their exceptional business practice, then a customization is needed to cater this request.

Hope it will be useful to you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Anushka,

Thanks for coming back on that. The process we’d be using this for is someone in the lab / manufacturing space requests consumable replenishment so they fill out the req. My hope was the “Release” state could be the trigger point for the materials team to action it for them. Agree that the screen likely works as designed. I think we’ll look at having a tick box in the header that says “ready for materials mgmt to action” - this can then be the instruction and cause the req to appear on a lobby element for that team. Conscious that there may be some Mat Reqs that are in progress of being filled out and not ready to be sent for them to be started so I think this is going to be the easiest technical solution to implement, since like you say the screen works as designed.

Thanks for the feedback and explanation :)

Thanks,

Andy

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

This question has been previously raised by few users.

Please see below explanation given by RnD.

The functionality of the Material Requisition is and has always been very simple, with the purpose to
support keeping track of parts that are issued within the own inventory and company. This implies that
someone requests goods to be issued with the Material Requisition as a basis, or even so that the goods is first issued and then afterwards the Material Requisition is entered to reflect the reality. The
normal behavior of a general business process would be to whenever they consume the materials required for the production beyond the buffer stocks or when they reach the reorder point they will request the materials from the own warehouse inventory. This is a firm decision since they already know and fixed for a reorder point in order to maintain continuous production floor.

And obviously there is a lead time for receiving the requested stock, in which the buffer stock satisfy the flow. So therefore since it is a firm decision the requisitioner authorized for flagging up the demand requirement for the respective inventory part will instantly create a material requisitioner when the stocks in hand has come to the reorder point. By simplify having the flexibility where the status is directly set to Released, it reduces the complexity of the state handling and make the life of the requisitioner easier.

If you ask me what's the real value of having the "released" state as the default one, it is to help the planner to have a real time view on the demand requirements of that specific part which has the real value when it is visible with the time frames. Obviously the reorder points will differ in different inventory parts hence we cannot say that we are accumulating all the requirements over a time period and for example release the material requisition on a specific day of the month.

Since this will obviously affect the lead time and would not have any value on having materials on time or giving the planner correct insights of the demand requirement with the time. The customer seems to be having an exceptional and unique process which cannot be accepted as a general behavior. As per your comment “Currently there is no way of SC or Warehouse staff knowing if the released Mat Requisition is completed or not”, the customer’s practice sounds very exceptional.

They seem to be having business practice where they will accumulate all the material requirements as material requirement lines and release the Material requirements at once (may be a specific day of the month in a given time period by a department).

Obviously the reorder points will differ in different inventory parts hence we cannot say that we are accumulating all the requirements over a time period and for example release the material requisition on a specific day of the month.

Since this will obviously affect the lead time and would not have any value on having materials on time or giving the planner correct insights of the demand requirement with the time. Hence this is how the system has worked since the 99 release, and no bug correction has changed this handling.

This  functionality of the Material Requisition is working as designed, this means that to simplify the handling, the status is directly set to Released, since it was not considered to be any need for a Planned status. If this status "Planned" would be implemented, this would add complexity to the state handling.

But as for the customer’s concern if this is really adding value to their exceptional business practice, then a customization is needed to cater this request.

Hope it will be useful to you.

“the status is directly set to Released, since it was not considered to be any need for a Planned status. If this status "Planned" would be implemented, this would add complexity to the state handling.”… Sounds like a typical RnD response :) Not sure how they got the idea that “there is no need for it” - the OP feels the need for it, I myself have run in to a few instances where this would have been handy. Reckon then there is no need for having a planned state for any other process too. With knowing IFS for 14 years, I’d think that a planned state indicates an initial stage of a business object which probably is under preparation, and a released state indicating a stage where it is ready for planning/execution.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to make Material Requisitions default to create in a Planned status? I know this is configurable for POs & Shop Orders (etc.) but I can’t see any settings for Material Requisitions to default this.

We COULD event it but I would worry that the event would fire while the req is being filled out and then cause an error and the user would have to start over.

Thanks,

Andy

Mate, try the event with pragma autonomous_transaction and a bit of caution. You might be able to force the state back to Planned without using a bg job. Else use a bg job with an event on a faster queue, and let the users perform a refresh after a couple of secs.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi,

Thanks,

Andy

Mate, try the event with pragma autonomous_transaction and a bit of caution. You might be able to force the state back to Planned without using a bg job. Else use a bg job with an event on a faster queue, and let the users perform a refresh after a couple of secs.

Please let me know how to take this through pragma autonomous transaction/event action through an event action and also with sql script if any?

Will be helpful for further understanding!

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Andy,

When a material requisition is first created, it will be given the Released status, this is the default status. Subsequently, it is possible to alter the status back to Planned if necessary. Therefore if you can do a code change to set the default status as  "Planned”  when creating MR, it will be a solution for you. Once it is created in "”Planned"” status, then you can change the status to "”Released "” according to your business need.

Regards.
ANMASL