Solved

How to cut one serial number (part A) into two serial numbers (part B)?

• 11 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hello,

We have encountered an interesting issue. I wonder if anyone has a solution to this. 

Process which we would like to have in IFS is:

Company manufactures Part A that is serial tracked and it should stay this way.
In most cases Part A is a finished good, but sometimes is further processed.
If further processed, Part A is a component to another manufactured Part - B. Part B is also serial tracked and it should stay this way.
Part B, in simplification, is made by cutting one piece of Part A into two pieces of Part B.
So, from one serial number of Part A we receive two serial numbers of Part B.

#There is no way to create Product Structure of Part B including component Part A, as qty in assembly cannot be 0.5 for serial tracked parts.
#There is no way to receive serial-tracked By-Product.
#There is no way to issue on Shop Order (lot size = 2) just one piece of A and receive 2 pieces of B.

Running out of option here, or is it just lack of imagination? :)

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Regards, Lukasz

icon

Best answer by matt.watters 11 January 2022, 12:21

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Guess the obvious question is why the part must be serial tracked and cannot be lot/batch tracked?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Guess the obvious question is why the part must be serial tracked and cannot be lot/batch tracked?

This is a company that delivers goods for military, I suppose that all of their products must be serial tracked, every single piece that leaves the factory.

BR, Lukasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Maybe not ideal since it requires an additional BOM level, but could it be an option to divide A into two parts:

• A2 is lot/batch tracked and not a sales part
  • A1 is serial tracked sales part that consumes 1 PCS of A2

Then serial tracked sales part B can consume 0.5 PCS of A2. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

You stated #There is no way to issue on Shop Order (lot size = 2) just one piece of A and receive 2 pieces of B.

I have never tested it with serial FG, but does Simplified Material Check at receipt allow you do the above? I’m going to assume it doesn’t as part B is a discrete serial, but maybe give it a test.

Edited - tracked structure of one of the serials of B will be incomplete.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

You stated #There is no way to issue on Shop Order (lot size = 2) just one piece of A and receive 2 pieces of B.

I have never tested it with serial FG, but does Simplified Material Check at receipt allow you do the above? I’m going to assume it doesn’t as part B is a discrete serial, but maybe give it a test.

Edited - tracked structure of one of the serials of B will be incomplete.

Simplified Material Check can be ticked only if Multilevel Tracking on (Main) Part is turned off. Then you can have Shop Order with lot size = 2, issue one serial number of Part A and receive two serial numbers of Part B. Of course, as you mentioned, tracked structure is empty then cause Multilevel parameter is off. But still, this is some option. Thank You.

BR, Lukasz

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Maybe not ideal since it requires an additional BOM level, but could it be an option to divide A into two parts:

• A2 is lot/batch tracked and not a sales part
  • A1 is serial tracked sales part that consumes 1 PCS of A2

Then serial tracked sales part B can consume 0.5 PCS of A2. 

This is also an option. Thank You.

BR, Lukasz