Question

DDMRP - Only one Requisition created

• 6 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi,

We are testing DDMRP and think this planning model is useful for us in a Make To Stock scenario for automotive type customers.

Automotive customers send us a delivery schedule for ~6 months of demand. When I try the DDMRP it creates only one requistion to fill up stock to the top of green level. I would like it to continue to create requistions for the complete 6 months horizon . The reason is that we plan the capacity load based on requisitions and that we want the demand from the top level part to show on the lower BOM-levels.(We would only “firm” the first requisition in a planning)

Is there a parameter that I am missing, or is DDMRP designed for “short term planning”?

Sorry for the swedish screen dump, but it shows that only one requistion is created. Then the stock goes negative 2021-07-13 without any new requistion created by the DDMRP.

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Fredrik,

Yes, DDMRP is very much designed for short term planning. Intermidiate- and Long term planning - well you have to do it in S&OP.

Personally I think this is a shortcoming in the DDMRP framework. There are other really really nice features with DDMRP, with the dynamic buffers that act as shock absorbers in the nervouss supply chain.

In our roadmap we have plans to develop simulation functionality in MRP&CRP (a bit similar to what we have in MS and RRP (I don’t know if you are familiar with MS Sets functionality?). In such a future solution I think for example running a DDMRP planned part, in a simulation set, like it was a lot-for-lot planned part could be useful and then run CRP for the same simulation set.

Cheers,

Mats at IFS RnD

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Mats,

Thanks for the answer :-)

Yes I really like the concept of DDMRP,  because it´s support the priority decisions between the shop orders based on buffer levels, but as a supplier to the automotive industri, it would be nice if the MRP (planning method (H))  created a new requisition everytime the predicted stocklevel reaches “Top of red” with a quantity to reach “Top of Green” for the complete forecast/EDI-schedule horizon.

When we have a “ready served” and constantly updated forecast schedule from the customer on part level, it makes no sence to split the forecastlines to a MS-set. Maybe I don´t have enough knowledge how that would work?