Configurator and DOP

• 1 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Can anyone share their experience using the part configurator but NOT using DOP? IFS documentation seems to pair these two functionalities but there is internal resistance to DOP as others would prefer to immediately generate an engineering part number from the configuration tool and skip using DOP. We have historically built an item and brought it into inventory and then picked it to the order and have used projects as a way to connect material/shop orders to customer orders. There is a mindset that there is no advantage to using DOP.  I’m hesitant to run with that idea given the documentation seems to point to DOP as being the “best” option in a CTO environment. 

I’m of the mindset that it would help decrease part proliferation as we have definitely had new part numbers created for essentially duplicate systems which is inefficient. 

I welcome any pros/cons regarding using DOP with the part configurator to aid in internal discussions.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Amber,

Mainly there are 2 main advantages by using DOP together with CTO.

1. Dop facilitates parts with multi-level structure all the way from top to bottom with passing the configuration to each level.
  2. Dop can create the supplies for its components.

If you want to produce a part along with subassemblies with passing the configuration upstream, then DOP is the only solution. Otherwise, it is not necessary to use DOP with CTO. you can use shop orders to produce your configured parts.

Badge +1

Thanks Pushpa.

Do you have thoughts on the pros/cons of using projects vs DOP with the configurator? The internal discussion here is that using engineered parts coupled with projects can do anything that DOP can do. The proposed solution is to use a simple project with a material activity for our potential CTO/standard systems line of business. We struggle with transparency regarding what parts/subassemblies are connected to an order even when using projects (that could be process issues internally) and the DOP connections sound appealing to me. 

We also had to add a customization to aggregate project demand for smaller parts because having project connected purchase reqs for small numerous parts was a nightmare for purchasing. With DOP we could chose not to peg the purchased parts within the structure as I understand it.