Viewing Business Reporter report output

• 23 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 13 replies

Hi

Wondering if anybody else has encountered this issue - our IT department don’t want users to create a trusted location C:\users\username\dowloads to be able to view output of business reporter reports. Apart from BRES is there any other way users could view report output without creating trusted location

Thanks

GT

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi!

Are you referring ro the IFS Cloud version?

/Stefan

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

In the IFS Cloud version I was testing the same area.

When you order the report you cannot open it directly like in the IFS Apps 10 version, you need to download it.

You could click on the report in the toolbar for downloaded files to open it directly but since C:\users\username\downloads is not a trusted folder it will not open up.

You could go to the downloads -folder to “Unblock” -the file in order to open it. But when you open it you need to login and after logging in I cannot see the report mode only the design mode…

Is this the same as what you are struggling with?

/Stefan

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hey Stefan

I am using IFS Aurena to order the report not the IFS Business Reporter client/excel add-in. If I don’t set up the c:\users\username\downloads as a trusted location in Excel I get this error:

My IT team is reluctant to allow users to add trusted locations for security reasons. From my understanding if we were to purchase the Business Reporter Execution Server (BRES) users wouldn’t need to add trusted locations. My question is other than the BRES and the IFS Business Report client/excel add-in is there any other way users could view report output without having  to add trusted locations

Thanks

Grant

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi!

Yes in the IFS Aurena interface and in the IFS Cloud version it is working the same way.

I don’t think I have an answer. My comment was more to open a discussion reagrding the process of ordering and viewing reports in these versions of IFS Applications. Hope we get more comments in this Topic.

Regarding Business Reporter Execution Server (BRES). BRES should not have a separate license so you should not have to pay extra for using BRES. But of course BRES need to be installed and configured that will require hours from technicians. 

/Stefan

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

If you are in 21R2 or higher, you can simple tick the box; ‘Remove Connections to IFS Business Reporter when using BR Execution Server’. 

As of 21R2 BRES is not a separate installation anymore. Please refer to the documentation: 

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/22r1/050_reporting/256_br_and_a/030_business_reporter/032_br_configuration/090_br_execution_server/

For lower versions you do need to install BRES in order to remove the BR connection and for users to open the report (without having the BR Client/trusted location) as far as i'm aware.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi!

Thx for the comments.

But I still agree with the original question that it is quite complicated to order and view a report in IFS Aurena without using the BRES.

Using BRES requires a separate process. Order report => check if the report has been executed => when ready open the report.

I think this will result in two options:

1. If you want to order the report and wait for the result to be opened directly => use the IFS BR Client
  1. If you want to order the report but can leave opening the report until later => IFS Aurena interface can be used together with BRES.

/Stefan

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thanks Stefan, sorry I meant cost of IFS deploying and hosting the BRES in their Azure tech stack rather than a licence cost

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

If you are in 21R2 or higher, you can simple tick the box; ‘Remove Connections to IFS Business Reporter when using BR Execution Server’. 

As of 21R2 BRES is not a separate installation anymore. Please refer to the documentation: 

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/22r1/050_reporting/256_br_and_a/030_business_reporter/032_br_configuration/090_br_execution_server/

For lower versions you do need to install BRES in order to remove the BR connection and for users to open the report (without having the BR Client/trusted location) as far as i'm aware.

Thanks MiLeNL but we are only on IFS Aurena at the moment. We might move to cloud version but that is a little way off unfortunately