Solved

Is it recommended to change the 'Global' context

• 30 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I want to alter the page configurations and navigator configurations to different types of users. WHat I am thinking is to do all the common configurations in the global context and create custom contexts for nuanced config.

What is IFS’s recommendation on changing contexts. can there be any implications of changing the global context?

icon

Best answer by AussieAnders 1 May 2023, 06:45

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I want to alter the page configurations and navigator configurations to different types of users. WHat I am thinking is to do all the common configurations in the global context and create custom contexts for nuanced config.

What is IFS’s recommendation on changing contexts. can there be any implications of changing the global context?

Hi @dhanikw 

You are following the recommended practice to manage the navigator. Please go ahead.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

IFS recommendation was to keep the Global context “vanilla” and not do any changes to it. 
Apparently that should make it easier to do investigations in the applicable pages when needed. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Also not that you cannot attach the Global context to an Application Configuration Package for export an import. Therefore, I’d leave it alone, unless you’re just mocking something up in a demo environment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

I agree with the comments that the IFS global context should not be changed. Rather you should create a separate context to use in the global sense where you place most of your configuration changes, then if you have a few specific contexts that are needed for certain pages or users, use another context beyond that. IFS has not done a good job of making it clear that changing the out of the box global context is a really bad idea.

See this thread for more info.