IFS Cloud - Sql column names

• 19 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 20 replies

Hi, community

On IEE we could see the name of the view and sql colunm by opening the system information menu. I know that I can see the name of the view if I bring up the page info menu, but I can’t see the colunm names. Does anyone knows how to get the sql colunm names on IFS Cloud?

Thanks!

Cruz

icon

Best answer by bdoucette 19 May 2023, 20:36

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @rcruz 

You can see the view and column names on the Entity page under solution manager>System Information and Utilities>Entities>Entity

It gives you the views and columns for the selected entities, but finding the views that aren’t tied to entities is a little bit more difficult

Thanks,
Bryan

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @rcruz 

You can see the view and column names on the Entity page under solution manager>System Information and Utilities>Entities>Entity

It gives you the views and columns for the selected entities, but finding the views that aren’t tied to entities is a little bit more difficult

Thanks,
Bryan

Thank you, Bryan, that really helps, I’m new to IFS Clouds so I really appreciate it. How do you search on this page? I saw that you have a search bar on your window. When I open the entity page, I don’t have that option. Do I have to enable it somewhere else? Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @rcruz 

Of course, I’m happy to help, especially when IFS Cloud is so big and it really can get confusing when you don’t know where anything is.

There’s a magnifying glass icon on the top left of the screen, right above your page search bar. If you click on that, you can search and filter your list down.

Additionally, If you use ~CustomerOrder or %CustomerOrder% that will give you all of the results that are similar to or contain “CustomerOrder”

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @rcruz 

Of course, I’m happy to help, especially when IFS Cloud is so big and it really can get confusing when you don’t know where anything is.

There’s a magnifying glass icon on the top left of the screen, right above your page search bar. If you click on that, you can search and filter your list down.

Additionally, If you use ~CustomerOrder or %CustomerOrder% that will give you all of the results that are similar to or contain “CustomerOrder”

Thank you @bdoucette !!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Rodrigo,

why do you want to know the sql fields below views / tables?
Do you need to know, what kind of information is combined into one IFS mask?
Or do you need to know that for some kind of reports?
We collected that kind of information for more than 5 years now into excel based datadictionaries and developed a MS SQL procedure to create that type of information. We added an excel-makro to do the formating and selection.

DataDictionary after using filter “relevant fields”

Why “relevant fields”?
When creating BI solutions you mainly want to “let go”.
Only really important fields would make it into a report.
What is important what isn’t?
A “intelligent” piece of SQL procedure is taking care of that question and marks “SystemRelevant” and “ManualRelevant” with “X” if yes. If your colleage tells you “we know there are no data in that field yet but we will fill it the next 2 weeks” you can easily mark it as ManualRelevant = X.

You can add a comment within the excel datadictionary and every “change request” is documented in your datadictionary.

XLSX-DataDictionary with info for object “CUSTOMER_ORDER_TAB” without filter.

in column K we show the (in sql ) calculated filling ratio.
Therefor if your colleage asks for a new field you can immidiately tell them “no problem, but first start using it!” :-) The colours are green for numeric, blue for date and orange for char fields.

You can imagine a bunch of objects (I prefer objects because than you can summerize views and tables into that word) and tons of columnames.
Strng-F within Excel but not within the worksheet but the whole datadictionary.
For us it was and is still very useful, when you need a quick answers.

All the best

Michael

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Rodrigo,

why do you want to know the sql fields below views / tables?
Do you need to know, what kind of information is combined into one IFS mask?
Or do you need to know that for some kind of reports?
We collected that kind of information for more than 5 years now into excel based datadictionaries and developed a MS SQL procedure to create that type of information. We added an excel-makro to do the formating and selection.

DataDictionary after using filter “relevant fields”

Why “relevant fields”?
When creating BI solutions you mainly want to “let go”.
Only really important fields would make it into a report.
What is important what isn’t?
A “intelligent” piece of SQL procedure is taking care of that question and marks “SystemRelevant” and “ManualRelevant” with “X” if yes. If your colleage tells you “we know there are no data in that field yet but we will fill it the next 2 weeks” you can easily mark it as ManualRelevant = X.

You can add a comment within the excel datadictionary and every “change request” is documented in your datadictionary.

XLSX-DataDictionary with info for object “CUSTOMER_ORDER_TAB” without filter.

in column K we show the (in sql ) calculated filling ratio.
Therefor if your colleage asks for a new field you can immidiately tell them “no problem, but first start using it!” :-) The colours are green for numeric, blue for date and orange for char fields.

You can imagine a bunch of objects (I prefer objects because than you can summerize views and tables into that word) and tons of columnames.
Strng-F within Excel but not within the worksheet but the whole datadictionary.
For us it was and is still very useful, when you need a quick answers.

All the best

Michael

Hey Michael, thanks for reaching out!

Actually I need to know the sql column names to perform data migration. I’m used to work on IEE but now we have a client that uses IFS Cloud, so I need to know an easy way to train users to make data migration on the platform. If you have any tips on an easy way to do it, please let me know.

But eventually I will use it to create quick reports as well. 

I really liked what you did, I think that was very smart!

Thank you!