Question

Smart naming

• 10 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

why there is no smart item coding system on IFS for Inventory cards?

i don’t want user to code a product manually, and i don’t want some random system generated product codes, user should choose some options or characteristics of a product and system should give a code according to smart naming convention algorithm.

what can i do to achieve something close to this?

Looking for answers, please share your opinion. 

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Your business processes need to support the desired state.   The terms you have used here can apply in various modules within IFS, within various industries and would need to be more specific.   It is likely you can prevent unintended user consequences with permissions and effective training.   Some fields can be made mandatory.   

Badge +1

@cperdue Thank you for your reply, I didn't quite understand you, what I want to achieve is to prevent mistakes that can be made by staff and create an item code generation system.

The term smart item coding may seem strange to you, what I mean is to automate the item code according to the given structure.

As an example, the staff selects the properties of an item (from Inventory Characteristics) and then the Inventory Item Code is automatically generated based on the selected values.

Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I am familiar with smart item coding.   

You are correct, IFS does not have canned capabilities to accomplish your wish.   A developer can create the logic to sequence and likely there is also an app for that.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Noriro If I understand your requirement correct, you need to generate the item no such as inventory part no/ sales part no, etc following user selected values based on a business logic rather than allowing users to enter. AFAIK there is no out of the box capability in IFS for this. As such logic is highly business specific, it is quite complex to cater the requirement using a common solution. However it would be a good addition/ new feature though.

Another option is to use the Excel add-in to create parts (limit access to users to create parts in IFS using permissions). For example, if in your business, creation of inventory part is not frequent, you can reengineer the business process so that the inventory parts are created centrally based on the requests. In that case, it is possible to introduce an excel file where the properties can be selected and item code can be generated and then using Excel add-in such data can be written to the IFS. Also you can leverage the IFS Rest APIs to achieve the same.

If you need more control and if you need to get this done within IFS, customization is the option. Hope this helps !

Badge +1

I am familiar with smart item coding.   

You are correct, IFS does not have canned capabilities to accomplish your wish.   A developer can create the logic to sequence and likely there is also an app for that.

@cperdue please don’t get me wrong, i discuss this with consultant it took a bit long time to understand each other, and as a conclusion we are told that there is no such thing in IFS, so i thought maybe you are not familiar with the term, or you are calling it something different.

which or what is that app?

by the way IFS blocked my account so i created new one, i am the same guy, i dont know why IFS took this action, i did not violate anything.

Badge +1

@Noriro If I understand your requirement correct, you need to generate the item no such as inventory part no/ sales part no, etc following user selected values based on a business logic rather than allowing users to enter. AFAIK there is no out of the box capability in IFS for this. As such logic is highly business specific, it is quite complex to cater the requirement using a common solution. However it would be a good addition/ new feature though.

Another option is to use the Excel add-in to create parts (limit access to users to create parts in IFS using permissions). For example, if in your business, creation of inventory part is not frequent, you can reengineer the business process so that the inventory parts are created centrally based on the requests. In that case, it is possible to introduce an excel file where the properties can be selected and item code can be generated and then using Excel add-in such data can be written to the IFS. Also you can leverage the IFS Rest APIs to achieve the same.

If you need more control and if you need to get this done within IFS, customization is the option. Hope this helps !

Yes, you got me right, but some other so called Erp software which are way worse than IFS have this capability, I am surprised that IFS does not have this feature.

We don't want to use anything else instead of IFS if possible, we want to eliminate all other applications if we manage to meet their capabilities using IFS.

Creating items on other application makes people laugh at us. :)

by the way IFS blocked my account so i created new one, i am the same guy, i dont know why IFS took this action, i did not violate anything.

Badge +1

i cannot believe that IFS doesn't have this feature, it doesn't fit to ERP concept if you ask me.

one of the main idea in erp systems to eliminate mistakes and everything needs to be easy to read and understand. It has to be systematic and free from human error. 

So imagine that there is not logical algorithm set on the system, personel will create product/Item/Inventory Material/and others (Sales, Quotes, Project No, etc. (any card)) by hand manually, system is vulnerable to hand written mistakes or to logical mistakes.

This breaks the holistic perspective.