Solved

Printing takes too long

• 11 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

We have 2 sites. Site 1 in the UK and Site 2 in Europe. Site2 works off the UK/Site 1 server and Print Agent.  Using IFS10 IEE.  

When site 2 prints through IFS it can take along time (2-5mins) which is too long. 

Site 1 takes <30seconds 

Please can anyone tell me what I need to do to speed up the printing at Site 2 please. 

icon

Best answer by chajash 11 January 2024, 17:12

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Set up a print agent in that site….with the printers at that site configured into that print agent.  Note: Make sure to remove the 2nd site printers from the original print agent config.

Print agents should be located closest to where the users/printers are physically located….

Also another problem we experienced is we needed to set up multiple crystal reports instances in IIS.  Sometimes when you have just one it can create a bottleneck there as well.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Agree with Cindy above….set up another Print Agent service for the second site.  Make sure it’s installed on a host server within the same network domain as the printer device(s) where the physical printing is to be done.  IFS allows - and encourages - the use of multiple Print Agent services where appropriate.

Use of the Print Agent in general is intended to be as localized as possible as its purpose is to minimize network traffic as well as to direct printer output to specific printer devices.  The Print Agent services will retrieve compressed print jobs from the database, decompress the print job files and then send them to the desired printer.  So the Print Agent service should be as close as possible to the physical printers it uses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Above 2 responses from @chajash and @Eugene Wager well explains what needs to be done. Just thought I would add the link to the Print Agent documentation as well, where the importance of setting up multiple printers for different sites is documented:

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/foundation1/010_overview/250_operational_reporting/140_print_agents/default.htm

Badge +1

Thank you very much. We thought this might be what we needed to do. I will set up the print agent on the second site and let you know how much it helps. 

Badge +1

Hello Again

We have set up the Print agent on site 2. 

When it connects/starts it prevents the Site 1 print agent from working. 

We have only 1 printer added on site2 print agent,

This printer has been removed from site 1 print agent.

Within the print agent configuration we have the following information

ID: both IFSL

User: both IFSPRINT

Connect String: both the same

Default printing parameters: Both ifs-printing……

REST PORT: We’ve made these different 8200 & 8201

We are starting to look at the spooler configuration but I’m unsure what we need to do. Please can you advise. 

Badge +1

@Charith Epitawatta@chajash , @Eugene Wager 

Hi folks. Are you able to advise on the above question please? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

What are the logs saying?

Have you restarted agent1 windows service?  Until you do that, it will still use the old configuration.

Also have you installed the printer directly on server2 with a different name?

Have you turned off agent 1 and then agent2 will then work? and visa versa?

Not sure, if this would be an issue, but are the print agents named differently?  I always gave each of mine a different name...depending on location of the printers or server.

Not sure if the attached will help or not.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Again - Cindy is correct in regards to giving different names to each print agent service.  She’s also given powerpoint attachments which I suspect give examples of how to configure Logical Printers (but I can’t open the powerpoint files to be certain of this).  Make sure each printer you wish to use, with either (or any) print agent service is configured per IFS instructions in the Logical Printers screen in the application and also in the configuration file of the respective print agent service.

I worked a case where another IFS customer had defined all of their printers in multiple Print Agent services’ configuration files.  This caused problems.  The configuration files for each PA service should only mention the printers of its own domain / locality.  For example if you had two PA services, A and B, the printers belonging to the domain of Service A should not be defined in the configuration file of Service B (and vis versa).

Let us know if you have further questions on this.

Eugene W

Badge +1

Thanks Eugene & Cindy. We’ve managed to create the 2nd print agent using the method you describe and give it a different name and print.