Windows tablet Camera for media file upload

• 21 December 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi,

May I know why camera option is not showing on Windows tablet (Rugged tablet with Windows 10) to attach media files to work orders in Aurena  Client (Apps 10 UPD 11)?

The camera option is prompted on iOS and Android devices when trying to browse for media files but not in Windows devices.

Appreciate if someone could share how camera option can be activated on Windows devices to upload media files.

Thank you.

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi,

This is because we use 3rd party functionality for camera barcode scanning (ZXing by default, Scandit if the the user has a valid license for it). These have only been implemented on Android and iOS due to the availability at that time. Unless there’s a suitable version of ZXing/Scandit that supports Windows platform and IFS integrates it to MWO, it will not be possible to scan barcodes using camera on Windows devices. It’s not available on the IFS Cloud mobile apps either.

Thanks and best regards,
Binesh

Badge +1

Hi Binesh, 

Thank you for your response. I believe the question was about Aurena on Windows tablets.

eg: Prepare Work Order screen - Media Attachments option has a Browse button. 

On iOS and Andriod mobile devices, the camera is prompted and available for use if we wish when this Browse button is selected. Aurena on Windows tablets does not prompt the use of the camera for the same button.

It is not a browser related issue as Edge on iOS works as expected.

Barcode related restrictions have been mentioned in the documentation but the camera option not being available for Aurena media attachments on Windows mobile devices has not been mentioned as far as we are aware.

Kindly advise if anyone has been able to get the camera enabled on Aurena using a Windows tablet device.

Many thanks in advance.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@Binesh Thank you for the reply. I’m referring to the camera option which allows to take photos instantly and attached to Work Orders, Inventory Parts, etc in IFS Aurena Client (IFS 10 UPD 11) as media files. Camera option pops-up on iOS and and Android tablets but not on Windows tablets.

I have attached a picture of the camera option on Android device.

Is your explanation valid for the missing camera option when uploading media files on Aurena client too?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Sorry I have answered a completely different problem. The camera option is allowed on Aurena Native apps such as IFS MWO Service 10 to attach images to Work Tasks etc. (as shown in the screenshot). I’m unable to provide any input on the Aurena web client on the browser as I’m unfamiliar with how it works.

@Martin Abrahamsson appreciate if you have any input on this regarding the web client, or are able to point to someone in the team.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@Binesh Thank you for the prompt reply.

@Martin Abrahamsson  Highly appreciate if you could shed some light on this matter.

Badge +1

There is not code in IFS Cloud Web to handle the camera, from the application perspective it is always just a file that is being uploaded to it, it is the browser and the os that decides what types of options there should be when uploading a file, and in mobiles the browser is coded to include the option to take a picture with the camera and upload it, that is not the case with browsers on desktop os:es. For windows tablets it is possible that this option will be there if the tablet is set to tablet mode (Turn tablet mode on or off - Microsoft Support)

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@Rickard Staaf  Thank you for the reply. We were using the tablet mode from the beginning. But there is no luck. We found a IFS presentation ‘IFS Apps 10 - Whats New in Aurena Technology.pptx’ where it shows that Camera Application is accessed from the folder browser in a Windows environment.

Please find the attached presentation and relevant screen captures.

Really appreciate, if someone could guide us on how to access Camera App via the folder browser if the OS/Internet browser is not  automatically prompting it?

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Please vote Camera option for media file upload in Windows tablet | IFS Community