Question

Why does Print Agent not get print jobs when routing thru Report Rules?

• 12 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Print agent remote nodes don’t get the print jobs when using Report Rule to print the ‘Pick List for Customer Orders’ report.  The correct layout is selected, and PDF is created, but the print job is stuck in the Print Queue with a status of ‘Remote waiting’. 

Report Rule
Print Job

Everything works fine when report routing is set using the Printer Definition Page,  Report User Printer tab.   I’d use this setup and forget about the Report Rule but the users want 2 sequential copies of the report.  For this report, I can’t see any other way but to set the copy number in the Report Rule Actions, property list. 

App Version: IFS 8.1

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@enorton did you check the logs from the print agent? Normally if it says Remote Waiting, then something is probably wrong with the Print Agent. Checking print agent logs could be helpful.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yes, the print agent logs show a successful connection and the pickup of print jobs routed using the Printer Definition Page,  Report User Printer tab.  However, when routed thru report rule the agent continues to check for print jobs but report that none were found. 

This is a bug with Report Rule:  

After extensive testing, we found that the report rule is not doing what’s necessary -- whatever that is-- to allow the remote print agent node to see the print job and pick it up.  Since the report rule is able to do everything else we left the rule in place and setup the Printer Definition Page,  Report User Printer tab to make the rendered report visible to the print agent.  This two-part solution, while ugly, does work.   

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@enorton I’m glad that you found a way to make it work.