Solved

VERTICAL CLUSTER

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi All,

IFS allows us to create vertical cluster, although in documents it is not mentioned how to.

Have any one tried this, and guide with the steps.

Thanks & Regards

Shitanshu Sharan 

icon

Best answer by Charith Epitawatta 29 July 2021, 10:27

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @shitanshu sharan,

For which version of the application? In IFSAPP10, it is as simple as adding a new server from IFS Middleware Server Admin Console. You do not need to generate a cluster zip and copy it over to another slave node to configure it as a cluster member as you would simply be adding a new server to the existing master node. 

You can leave the listen address field empty and the keystore password is the same password you used to log into IFS Middelware Server Admin Console. All the other relevant ports are automatically assigned based on the port prefix of the instance; in above example, the port prefix is 48. Memory limits will also be inherited from the first managed server and assigned automatically.

And then within a few minutes, your vertical cluster is configured!

As always, you need to consider whether your node has enough resources such as CPU and memory to support another Managed Server. 

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Charith Epitawatta,

You mentioned about the horizontal expansion on different machines/Servers/Nodes.

My Question is about Vertical cluster i.e. expansion on the same machine/server/node.

Thanks & Regards

Shitanshu Sharan 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @shitanshu sharan,

Charith explained it correctly for Vertical cluster. Let me clear it out.

Horizontal cluster :- There are two nodes, Master node (Machine / VM 1) and Slave node (Machine / VM 2). So when creating Horizontal clusters you need to create the cluster.zip from the Master node and unzip it in the slave node. Afterwards, you need to create the salve node in Admin Console and need to choose the 2nd VM (Slave node) as the machine for slave node.

Vertical cluster :- There are two nodes, Master node (Machine / VM 1) and Slave node (Machine / VM1). In this scenario we don’t use two Machines/VM’s. We only use one machine and we create both nodes in it. Basically, this is what you need to do. Go to the admin console of the current instance, then create another MainServer and you need to choose the same VM/Machine for it.

FYI - Check Charith steps when creating.

Thank You.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Chamath Dhammearachchi 

Thanks for the information.

Please can you guide me for the same in lower version APPS8.

Thanks & Regards

Shitanshu Sharan

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @shitanshu sharan,

I have uploaded the F1 document for this post. It has how we should configure cluster. However, as you are going to do a Vertical cluster you just need to do a reconfiguration and add “MainServer2” with same machine in the “Managed Servers” form in the installer.

Thank You,

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @shitanshu sharan,

Charith explained it correctly for Vertical cluster. Let me clear it out.

Horizontal cluster :- There are two nodes, Master node (Machine / VM 1) and Slave node (Machine / VM 2). So when creating Horizontal clusters you need to create the cluster.zip from the Master node and unzip it in the slave node. Afterwards, you need to create the salve node in Admin Console and need to choose the 2nd VM (Slave node) as the machine for slave node.

Vertical cluster :- There are two nodes, Master node (Machine / VM 1) and Slave node (Machine / VM1). In this scenario we don’t use two Machines/VM’s. We only use one machine and we create both nodes in it. Basically, this is what you need to do. Go to the admin console of the current instance, then create another MainServer and you need to choose the same VM/Machine for it.

FYI - Check Charith steps when creating.

Thank You.

Hi @Chamath Dhammearachchi  Do You have any document from Apps 10 how to deploy on master node and slave node? what is a best practice for same? Thanks  

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @gaurav.bagdia,

Do you mean ClickOnce deployment on clustered environment ?

Thank You, 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @gaurav.bagdia,

Do you mean ClickOnce deployment on clustered environment ?

Thank You, 

Hi @Chamath Dhammearachchi 

I want to know the standard IFS process Before deploying cluster.zip in slave node. What kind of pre-steps we need to perform (Like services and ifs home back up) ? Do you have any document on same?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @gaurav.bagdia,

This is the document you are seeking “https://wit.ifsworld.com/f1docs/apps10upd7/foundation1/020_installation/020_installing_fresh_system/040_installing_ifs_applications/030_deploy_middle_tier/hidden_itd/200_configure_cluster_nodes.htm”.

Thank You,

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Thanks Chamath!!!