Question

SSRS Operational Reporting Visual Studio Extension Setup

• 10 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Our company is upgrading to Apps 10 with SSRS Operational Reporting. I have two copies of SetupIFSReportDataExtension.exe, one older and one newer. I have made several attempts to install on a development machine and our SSRS server and have had almost no luck. The installation error reads “Please make sure Visual Studio & Business Intelligence Developer Studio are installed correctly.”

Does anyone know the exact requirements for a successful installation?

Here’s what I tried so far:

• Visual Studio 2013 Shell + SSDT: older installer - success, newer installer - fail
  • Visual Studio 2015 Shell + SSDT: older installer - fail, newer installer - fail
  • SQL Server 2017: older installer - fail, newer installer - fail

The one combination that succeeded installing (VS 2013+old installer) then gave me an error about an invalid WSDL endpoint when I tried to connect. Maybe that  error has something to do about TLS (https) or Federation Services authentication integration, both of which we are using.

Does anyone have any ideas or better documentation about getting the SSRSOR extension set up?

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

Have a look at the following documentation on installing the data extension and prerequisites

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/Foundation1/020_installation/400_installation_options/005_operational_reporting/120_configure_ssrs_integration/install_ifs_report_data_extension.htm

Try with the latest version of the extension. The latest version is  21.1.3.0.

Regards,

Chanaka

Badge +2

Thank you for the feedback. This document essentially says to install Visual Studio, BIDS and the extension. I have Visual Studio 2015 and SSDT. The extension won’t install.

The installer version is 21.1.3.0..

It it safe to assume that everyone has abandoned the extension and gone to direct Oracle connections? If anyone has installed this extension on a clean Windows 10 computer, I’d be interested in knowing how.

For what it’s worth, I found this log in my temp folder after attempting to install:

7/12/2021 12:29:18 PM - [InstallExtension]               Starting the installer
7/12/2021 12:29:18 PM - [RegistryKeyBase]                Detecting Visual Studio
7/12/2021 12:29:18 PM - [RegistryKeyBase]                Found Visual Studio 64 bit
7/12/2021 12:29:18 PM - [GetVSInstances]                 System could not be found visual studio 2017 or a later version
7/12/2021 12:29:19 PM - [GetMSDLLFilePath]               Found C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Microsoft.ReportingServices.Interfaces.dll
7/12/2021 12:29:19 PM - [GetNewtonsoftJson]              Found C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Newtonsoft.Json.dll
7/12/2021 12:29:19 PM - [InstallExtension]               Trying to build Ifs.Application.ReportDataServiceExtension.dll for client
7/12/2021 12:29:20 PM - [InstallExtension]               Successfully compiled the Ifs.Application.ReportDataServiceExtension.dll for client
7/12/2021 12:29:20 PM - [CleanupInstallation]            Deleting installation temp files
7/12/2021 12:29:20 PM - [RegistryKeyBase]                Detecting Microsoft SQL Server versions
7/12/2021 12:29:20 PM - [InstallExtension]               Couldn't find any Microsoft SQL Server Installations
7/12/2021 12:29:20 PM - [m_oWorker_RunWorkerCompleted]                      Error during installation.
7/12/2021 12:29:23 PM - [DoInstall]                      Closing the Installer

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

If you are using SSRS reports for Operational Reporting, then you should have the Data Extension to access the xml data.

According to our log the Data Extension for the client has been installed.

7/12/2021 12:29:20 PM - [InstallExtension]               Successfully compiled the Ifs.Application.ReportDataServiceExtension.dll for client

The bottom part is the server installation part, and since you don’t have that that is what is failing.

You can ignore this as you only want the client part.

You get this because, the same Data Extension and installer is used for both client and server side installation. It first install the client and then the server. On a server installation where MS VS not there the client part will fail and the server part will succeed.

To verify the client installation, check if you have the Ifs.Application.ReportDataServiceExtension.dll at the  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies folder. If so, then the client installation is ok. You should be able to select the IFS Data Extension as a data source from MS VS when developing reports.

Regards,

Chanaka

Badge +2

Thanks, Chanaka,

Unfortunately, the dll was not copied to the folder despite it being compiled.

It appears that a direct Oracle connection is going to be my best bet for these SSRS reports.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Strange it doesn’t copy. Hope you ran it as “Administrator”. If so, not sure why it didn’t copy.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Dear Chanaka,

Trust you are doing great.

Is there any recording for installation, configuration and usage of SSRS, if yes then can you share the same with us.

It will be a great help to us if the same is there. 

Regards

Pankaj