Setup 32bit crystal web service instance in 64bit machine

• 29 October 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Normally it is not recommended to install the 32bit version of crystal web service instance in a 64bit VM. The correct installation zip should be chosen corresponding to the OS architecture. However there are situations where you want to setup a 32bit version even through the VM is 64bit. 

By default IIS application pools are not enabled for 32bit applications. However they allow the following setting to enable it. This way we can enable it and get the 32bit version working even in a 64bit OS. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

What is the advantage of a 32 bit installation of Crystal Web Services?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

As I know, there are no special advantages. However the bit version should be compatible with other application that it connect to. For example, if you have only a 32bit Oracle client installed in the VM, it won’t be compatible with 64bit crystal installation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Virtualization lends itself to building machines to serve one single purpose, reducing the chance for application conflict and reducing the impact of any one machine going down. I would strongly encourage anyone looking to make a compromise like this to have a second look at their IT operations strategy.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Virtualization lends itself to building machines to serve one single purpose, reducing the chance for application conflict and reducing the impact of any one machine going down. I would strongly encourage anyone looking to make a compromise like this to have a second look at their IT operations strategy.

Hi Kevin ( @durette ) & @Rusiru ,

I have just separated print agent (Apps9) from the MW server to its own server. Based on this comment from Kevin do you think it is best practice to move CWS to its own server too?

Any benefits other than robustness?

Cheers,

pete