Question

Receive Inventory Part - Define Cost Structure -

• 22 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 58 replies

When trying to receive an inventory part, I receive this error. It appears to only occur when trying to receive a Purchased(raw) part. I get the same error if I add another cost bucket as noted in the error. Thanks  

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

That is an indication that the part hasn’t been costed first.

What is the cost on the Unit Cost or Part Cost screen?

If it is zero and never been costed and the first transaction is doing a manual receive (which is not the normal transaction), then you have to define the cost structure manually the same way that the part type is currently defined.

It is way easier and much more accurate to make sure the cost is in place first.  I’m not sure if you are just testing a new implementation, but the steps leading you to this error in the first instance mean that there is prior work and setup that hasn’t been done.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@ShawnBerk You are right we are working on a new implementation. There seems to be confusion on costing. We had a plan to bring in all our expensed material at zero cost to start. Do we require an estimated material cost for all new parts created? How do we run the costing so that we do not have this issue? Even if I do an initial receipt on a PO I get the same error when attempting using the inventory receive screen. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Ahhh, then that clarifies the starting point then.  You can bring the expense items in without a cost or an estimate, that is allowed if that is where you want to start (you may change that mindset later, but it was a similar starting point for us 8 years ago).  

The next place to check then is the inventory part Zero Cost flag on the Misc Part Info tab.  If this is set to Zero Cost Forbidden, it will force a cost and cost structure to be in place on any receipt, whether manual or from a PO Arrival.  If you want to allow an item to be zero, this flag has to be set to Zero Cost Allowed or Zero Cost Only depending on the control you want to force.

Check that on a part and change it to Zero Cost Allowed then try the receive action.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@ShawnBerk I tried the above and still receiving the same error.

Badge +2

Hi,

I guess the inventory valuation method of this part is weighted average. If so, you could use a workaround: change the method to standard cost, do the receipt booking and afterwards change back to weighted average.

Hope this helps...

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Issue was a bug which IFS was able to patch.