Question

Parameter Mapping Workaround for MS Reports (SSRS)

• 30 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

I’m working in a 21.2.9 Cloud environment.  We have several SSRS legacy reports that were executed in Apps 9 with a custom menu that passed parameters from the source window to the report.  I see in the Cloud tech docs that the Page Configuration ParameterMapping functionality is not available for MS (SSRS) Reports and that it only works for SQL type reports.  

I’m wondering if anyone has come up with a workaround for this issue?  Would creating a command in IFS Developer Studio in the .client code work to call the MS report and pass parameters from the source page?  Or would I run into the same limitation of not being able to pass parameters from the source page into the View SSRS Report  window?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

At the moment it seems upvoting the idea wall for this issue is the only consideration.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

We found a couple of workarounds that may work for others while we wait for the functionality to be added…

1. Create an external navigation link to the SSRS server report passing in the parameters with ampersands.

http://your-ssrs-server/ReportServer/ ..path to your report/your report name&parameter1=p1&parameter2=p2&… rest of parameters

When you paste this into the Page Designer, you will be prompted to map the parameters.

The resulting url should look something like this:

http://your-ssrs-server/ReportServer/Pages/ReportViewer.aspx?%2fPublished+Reports%2fMyCustomerOrderReport&rs:Command=Render&ORDER_NO=${OrderNo}&LINE_NO=${LineNo}&REL_NO=${RelNo}&LINE_ITEM_NO=${LineItemNo}

2. Create a generic operational report containing generic text, number, and date parameters, plus a parameter for the report name.   The purpose of the report is to pass parameters.  Otherwise, the report has no content.

To make this work, I had to also create .rpls for each SSRS report and register the .rpls with the generic operational report, then use report rules to call the correct layout. 

The new _rep view then needs to be added in a data set to each SSRS report to pass the parameters from IFS into the report.

The last step is creating the operational report link using the Page Designer.  

Admittedly, this is a long slog, but it does work as an alternative to using the external link.