Question

Middle Tier Multitenant Remote Installation for IFS Cloud 21R2

• 2 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Dear all,
we are running remote installation of IFS Cloud 21R2 with 1 Windows Management Server (WMS) and 1 Middle Tier Server (MTS). Technical documentation for the Middle Tier Server (MTS) deployment is assuming to have WMS server (Windows Server 2019) and application server (Ubuntu with k8s) for each IFS instance. Our plan is to run 4 IFS instances (PRODUCTION, TEST, UAT, DEV). We have dedicated WMS and MTS for PRODUCTION instance of course, but it's reasonable number of servers needed for testing and dev instances.
Can we use 1 WMS server and 1 MTS for all 3 IFS test instances( TEST, UAT, DEV)? Technical documentation is mentioning that more then 1 k8s namespace for different IFS Cloud installation can be running within k8s cluster. However this scenario and configuration is not described in technical documentation at all. If it’s feasible, can you pls. enhance technical documentation with that?

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @ORFJAN ,

I don’t believe this is currently possible in remote deployments. While you will be able to run multiple namespaces in a single cluster i feel where we would have a problem is in the ingress controller since i haven’t seen how we would distribute the calls to the correct namespace. 

I could be wrong of course so quite keen to see responses from others on this.

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @ORFJAN,

You can use the same Windows Management Server for multiple installations, but there are some limitations in 21R1 with regards to the logging solution. I am not aware if those limitations have been eliminated in 21R2.

It is not possible to run multiple instances of the Middle Tier on the same Ubuntu server for IFS Cloud 21R1 and 21R2. This is functionality that is planned to be released with IFS Cloud 22R1.

Please see if you have access to following KBA. A lot of information about IFS Cloud Remote Deployment is listed here including what I mentioned above.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Sajith/Charith,
thanks for reply on this. Let’s hope in 22R1 with further server savings then. I the meantime we will definitely test 1 common WMS server for all test instances. However I have not found anything in technical documentation how the installation/configuration of WMS server should be done for this scenario. Can you pls. enhance IFS Cloud technical documentation with that?
Thanks Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @ORFJAN,

Documentation is probably not updated since there are still some limitations. Expecting it to be updated as soon as everything is ready. However you can open a case and request documentation to be updated. 

Hope this helps!