Solved

Java licensing

• 16 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

We are currently running IEE on Apps10.  Recently an account rep for Java reached out to us to ensure we are compliant with Java’s new licensing requirements. I found a document from late 2018 explaining the change and that using Java to run the MWS would still be in compliance (see attached).  I’ve honestly never put any thought into it. 

When researching the version of Java we have on the MWS, I found that it appears IFS uses two different Java executables (with different versions).  One in the path \{instance}\java\jre\bin and the other being \{instance}\mw_home\java\bin.  It is a Windows Server and both instances are running in the task manager.

It seems as if we are in compliance with one of these Java instances, but the other might require a paid license.  It’s possible this server has had Java updated unintentionally, so maybe that’s the reason for this?  Or is there a way to know if IFS sent it this way?

We have a call scheduled to discuss with Java, but I’d like to find out as much as I can before we discuss with them.  For those in the know, any info is appreciated.

icon

Best answer by hhanse 17 November 2023, 07:47

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi - The java used by IFS tools use the Java that don’t require licensing.
The Java that requires licensing is only used by the Weblogic part of MWS and is paid as part of the OEM license of Weblogic.  

Badge +3

Thanks, that helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The original question is about IFSAPPS10.
My customer is using Apps9Update11.
Would the same answer apply to Apps9Update11?

Also, my customer is concerned about IFS Cloud.
If customer uses IFS Cloud, do they need to be aware of and sign up for a Java license in addition to the IFS license?