Question

IFS Middleware Install

• 20 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Afternoon,

I’m looking to split our test environments over two different middleware servers. We currently have 5 different test environments which are located on a single windows server.

What I’m thinking of doing. Instead of installing from fresh is to clone the VM, sysprep etc and amend any config files within the two instances I bring online over on the second middleware server.

Can anyone see any issues doing this or any tips if you’ve did similar before?

We’re currently running on Apps 9.

Regards,

Ryan

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi Ryan,

One advise: Shutdown all the servers first before you clone the VM. Next start each one manually and delete the unnecessary instances from each VM. Make sure you do not start same instance in both VMs parallelly. Use the “delete” option in the installer to remove the unnecessary instances. I cannot think of any problems but lets wait to see if anyone else come up with any bad experiences or other thoughts about this approach. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

It might work but there would be some risk in identifying everything and hoping that nothing is embedded in something you can’t easily change. 

Don’t forget that there are also external items you would need to adjust and account for e.g. the database value for the CONN_STR and external apps like TouchApps or Print Servers.

Personally I would perform a backup and clone process to replicate the desired Apps Servers to the newly created VM and then just shut down the original App Server to serve as a rollback if needed in the short term.  If you’re not familiar with this process search for ‘clone’ in the IFS Technical Documentation and look at the “IFS Middleware Server Backup” result.

Nick

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If you are having both vm in same network you will have to change the hostname/ip of new vm. you might have to recreate the MWS in the VM with the new IP/hostname to not have any issues. You can use delete option to remove the instance and create option to recreate it from same repository. backup the application config file so you can give the same parameters when recreating it else you will loose the information when you delete the instance. MWS clone option had some issue in app9 earlier UPDs.