Question

IFS hosting on VMWare software

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Customer wants to move to a hosted environment (not cloud). It is possible to host IFS on Nebula(vmware environment). Azure stack does not support IPV6, whereas customer wants an IPV6 supported environment

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @envkavita,

We host our IFS 10 VMs on VMware vSphere 6.5 without issue (the servers were installed and configured by IFS).

Badge +2

Hi ;

I won’t suggest that you know oracle have some restrictions for vmware also there is no support from oracle side , we have 2 systems in ifs infrastructure one of them Oracle DB other one is (Weblogic or jboss  what ever your application server is ) Oracle DB has major issues on wmvare env . Many wmvare sales says we are supporting oracle db  and other RDBMS solutions but they aren’t . If we will explain more detail, We can say A.C.I.D. related issues you can read these link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID#:~:text=In%20computer%20science%2C%20ACID%20(atomicity,power%20failures%2C%20and%20other%20mishaps.)

RDMBS Systems has durability feature durability feature is meaning you cannot use buffer cache for writing to disk , if you use wmvare durability feature failing because you have buffer cache on the first label of your infrastructure (ESXi) if you will face power failures you can lose your whole system. If you want to use virtualization technology you can check oracle virt matrix and you need to extra configuration like directsync options for disks (https://www.oracle.com/tr/database/technologies/virtualization-matrix.html)

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

there is no support from oracle side” - utter rubbish! RTFM!

https://www.vmware.com/uk/support/policies/oracle-support.html

https://blogs.vmware.com/apps/2019/10/oracle-on-vmware-support-policy-changes-oct-9-2019-metalink-note-249212-1.html

Oracle customers with an active support contract and running supported versions of Oracle products will receive assistance from Oracle when running those products on VMware virtualized environments.

If Oracle identifies the underlying issue is not caused by Oracle’s products or is being run in a computing environment not supported by Oracle, Oracle will refer customers to VMware for further assistance and Oracle will provide assistance to VMware as applicable in resolving the issue.”

Badge +2

I’m not saying this oracle saying all of them VMware documents you can look metalink if you want to use unsupported platform you can use freely also you could face licensing issues .Some people don’t have enough knowledge  to use other virtualization platforms like XEN or KVM they can use only gui If they have any issues they have to give so much money to Oracle FSE ‘s they are happy to do that ok keep going .

Oracle Metalink Note 249212.1

Support Status for VMware Virtualized Environments 

--------------------------------------------------

Oracle has not certified any of its products on VMware virtualized 

environments. Oracle Support will assist customers running Oracle products

on VMware in the following manner: Oracle will only provide 

support for issues that either are known to occur on the native OS, or

can be demonstrated not to be as a result of running on VMware

If a problem is a known Oracle issue, Oracle support will recommend the

appropriate solution on the native OS.  If that solution does not work in

the VMware virtualized environment, the customer will be referred to VMware

for support.   When the customer can demonstrate that the Oracle solution

does not work when running on the native OS, Oracle will resume support,

including logging a bug with Oracle Development for investigation if required.

If the problem is determined not to be a known Oracle issue, we will refer

the customer to VMware for support.   When the customer can demonstrate 

that the issue occurs when running on the native OS, Oracle will resume

support, including logging a bug with Oracle Development for investigation

if required.

NOTE:  Oracle has not certified any of its products on VMware.  For Oracle RAC, Oracle will only 

accept Service Requests as described in this note on Oracle RAC 11.2.0.2 and later

releases.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

This is a positive statement by Oracle, not a negative one. In other words, they will work together to resolve any issues!

We have run IFS 10 on VMware with 120 users for over a year. Our sister company has run IFS 9 on VMware with 80 users for several years. No major issues.

Badge +1

VMWare caused so much problem at my last company, I kinda agree with the GURU.

Badge +2

Did you hear anything about to LMS , I hope you won’t never hear If i was you I never confess use Vmware for oracle databases i have looked your profile your company is clear in your profile , you have to delete your post or change your profile I hate oracle policies but technical side one problem on the other hand licensing issues related vmware you have to license all of your pool. If you face any power issue or taking snapshot issue or some kind of wmvare disk issue it will be end for you and your company. It’s risky really If you have balls don’t change your post .

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I’m sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. We have IFS on Oracle EE ASFU and there are no issues, licensing or otherwise, with running this on VMware.

Maybe take a look at this thread which has more information:

https://community.ifs.com/technology-infrastructure-cloud-integration-dev-tools-50/oracle-database-vmware-support-for-ifs-10-242

Badge +2

Ok you are already out of ASFU this community topics are unofficial just call your country oracle support ask them ASFU + VmWare + EE what will happen if LMS come to audit my system . When see this truth with publishing this information Im saving your life . LMS is very dangerous area they don’t care ASFU or something just read NUP documents they have limitations if you exceed this limit you have to pay core license . I think you have already NUP + ASFU but you have so many core in the pool may be 64 may be more . They will demand you to pay it all core license price without discount . Just call and ask them but don’t give your company name never give them :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I think IFS know a little more about Oracle licensing than you so I will rely on their advice and guidance. IFS would not survive as a business if they were systematically installing Oracle/IFS on an unlicensed basis.

You are scaremongering and spreading misinformation. Please stop.

Badge +2

No I’m not Correction my information easy as a phone call. Just call and ask them easyly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Tuning will have an additional layer of complexity, but it can be done. IFS can help you with licensing ASFU by NUP.

Keep in mind that Oracle would rather have you paying more for their database services in the cloud, for their turnkey database appliance, or for support on their Oracle VM Server for x86 Xen-based hypervisor. They compete with Vmware.