Solved

IFS Cloud does not have a query builder

• 20 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

IFS Cloud Quick Reports is missing the query builder feature to choose from existing views.

IFS 10 does have this one in the Enterprise Explorer.

Is it hidden or forgotten?

Kind regards,

Tobias

icon

Best answer by Kasun Balasooriya 23 August 2021, 09:32

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Tobias,

According to RND, this is one of the bigger architectural changes between APPS10 and IFS Cloud - the client does not communicate directly with the database using SQL anymore, it does that using RESTful APIs through the oData provider.

That means we cannot use SQL statements from the client anymore, so the SQL Query tool is indeed deprecated. An alternative tool is being developed, but it’s not available in 21R1. The above will mean that Information access layers (IALs) will also be deprecated. 

In the meantime (21R1), the Lobbies and Quick Reports still support SQL and IALs are not removed. However, it will be needed  to design your IALs using an external tool for this release or play around with Lobby Designer or Quick Reports.

Hope this information helps. 

Thanks,

Kasun

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Dear @Kasun Balasooriya 

Thanks for your mail. But I am not asking about the SQL Query tool but about the query builder which is used in the Quick Reports.

This would display all columns and views available. 

I am well aware of that IALs are no longer available. I am not talking about that either.

The query builder is missing. That is a fact.

Thus, it should be added again as it is still mentioned in IFS Cloud within the Quick Reports.

Regards,
Tobias

Userlevel 7

Dear @Kasun Balasooriya 

Thanks for your mail. But I am not asking about the SQL Query tool but about the query builder which is used in the Quick Reports.

This would display all columns and views available. 

I am well aware of that IALs are no longer available. I am not talking about that either.

The query builder is missing. That is a fact.

Thus, it should be added again as it is still mentioned in IFS Cloud within the Quick Reports.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias, the query builder will be re-introduced in IFS Cloud in the coming releases. I would imagine it will be a multi-release initiative and I hope that the first version is ready for 21R2.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @anmise!

Thank you for your knowledge sharing.

Then, I would recommend to remove the “Query Builder” Option in Cloud as long as it is not availalbe.

Kind regards,

Tobias

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Technical Toby ,

I included the additional information regarding the SQL query tool and the IAL’s for the greater benefit of the community who might not yet have received this info and help them understand the reason behind Query Builder Report Designer not being available at the moment in IFS Cloud.

So until a replacement is developed, RnD has opted to leave the current sql report types in IFS cloud 21R1. Tagging  @domze@Daniel Svantesson and @ChanakaAmarasekara in the thread to provide with any further updates. 

Thanks,

Kasun