Question

IFS Cloud 22R1: How to do translations

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,
what is the best way how to do translations of new objects created in repository?

Documentation (Translate Texts - Technical Documentation For IFS Cloud) talks only about changing already existent translations. But new translations must be done in different window (Solution Manager > Translation Development > Translatable Text).
Method of translation is very complicated. In EE in IFS10 was doing text translations very easy and quickly.
But this looks like step back to complicated work as it was with terms.

So there must be some better way.

Do you know any?

Thanks
BR

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @InfFilipV 

what do you mean by new objects created in repository? are u referring to custom object configurations? 

how about the guide provided in this link? https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/22r1/040_tailoring/225_configuration/200_client_configurations/350_translations_in_configurations/

/Harshini

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @hamalk,

no, I’m talking about normal objects. But translations are done same way.

And this method is very very time consuming in comparison to text translations in APP10.

so, is here some easier and faster way? 
I’m wondering about creation import/export migration job or TAR script to bulk translations and import in excel/csv.

BR

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Ping @chanaka-shanil 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@InfFilipV to understand your scenario, what exactly is lacking in the IFS Cloud Text Translation page?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @chanaka-shanil,

in comparison to APP10 text translations where one translation took one click (in text box). In IFS Cloud (translatable texts window) it takes at least 4 clicks (mark row, click button “translate”, choose text box, click “OK”).

I cannot see if translation is already done for particular text and language. So only check of translation existence takes 3 clicks.

If it could be possible to do translations of new LUs and Client’s files in window Text translations, it will be much more comfortable. But this page shows only already existent translations.

BR

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Welcome to IFS Cloud….3 to 5 more clicks to do some tasks for no apparent gain in functionality.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Yes, that’s something we can improve. I have added a issue in our side to optimize this process.

Thank you for the feedback

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @chanaka-shanil after a long time :)

I saw this thread while looking for some translation development problem in cloud and hope you can help.

We created the added new fields and done translations and added LNG and TRS file /server/translation folder and noticed that when creating a TOPIC env, translations are not imported. We had to add the core translations to the topic and import the lng, trs files in order to have the translations.

We believe that it could be due to that the topic environment does not have additional languages enabled during creation. Could there be another reason for this?

Ideal behavior would be that cust translations are imported during environment creation regardless of enabled languages so once the core translation files are installed, cust translations will appear without extra work.

Cheers!

Damith

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @dsj,
no languages are installed or imported in BP environments…
Details: 

BR

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @dsj,
no languages are installed or imported in BP environments…
Details: 

BR

Yeah that’s true Filip. But I believe there’s no wrong of importing the cust translations during environment creation. Then when we enable language and add core translations, cust translations also work seamless. Now we need to import cust translations manually.

Cheers!

Damith

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@dsj the import languages take time to process, therefore it conflicts with the topic environment creation process. That’s why trs are not imported to those environments. 

We have a backlog item to look into this process again. But until then you would need manually import the required trs files into topic environment

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hijacking this thread with another translation related question.
I have built a new lobby with new lobby elements and translated the whole lot. Then I have exported/imported into the prod environment but somehow the translations did not follow.

How do I do here? Do I need to export/import the whole translation file?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yes, that’s something we can improve. I have added a issue in our side to optimize this process.

Thank you for the feedback

Hi Chanaka,

are there any news about this improvement? It’s still very cumbersome to do translations in IFS Cloud…

Badge +3

The translations via the command Translate in the Entity Configuraiton is still used when custom fields are used in a report and its translation is added in the xml.

Badge +1

Yes, this is extremely frustrating thing! Is there really NO WAY how to filter fields NOT TRANSLATED YET and add translations to them like in IFS10?