Question

IFS Apps 8, JBOSS 5.1.2. - Intermittent Restarts Required in Production

• 18 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Good afternoon all,

I have recently joined an organisation as Business Systems Manager.  We are running IFS Apps 8 with JBOSS 5.1.2. middleware (looking to start an upgrade project very soon).

Approximately every 4 - 6 weeks, all users (c500) lose connection to the Production system, the issue is resolved by restarting the JBOSS server.  The loss of connections often happen towards the end of the week, later in the working day.

Our infrastructure/middleware is all managed by a third party who have not implemented any JVM monitoring and internally we have not set up any integration monitoring or monitoring of the JBOSS application server.

In our JBOSS server logs I have seen a few java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space errors and lots of socket write errors.

In my previous experience (20+ years SAP) the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space errors have been known to be critical and cause loss of connectivity due to memory exhaustion or poor garbage collection housekeeping.

I am looking for advice/guidance around the best way to review parameters and monitor the JBoss Server in real time in order to understand how the server is performing in real time.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Any guidance around monitoring of JBOSS?

I don’t just want to increase the size of the Java Heap as this is not helping to identify and fix the root cause.

Any guidance/advice/support gratefully received.

Best regards - Simon Brooker

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

I have a similar situation. From what I have been told by IFS, it is caused by a memory leak problem with JBOSS.  My solution has been to restart the IFS application during our monthly scheduled data center maintenance window.