Solved

IEE client is a 32-bit application. Why 32-bit not 64-bit?

• 20 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

IEE client is a 32-bit application. Why 32-bit not 64-bit?

icon

Best answer by Ben Monroe 21 July 2022, 03:42

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I’m not sure why it is only 32-bit other than from a compatibility perspective with clickonce therefore only needing to push a single version to client machines.

From a performance perspective, since it is really only a lightweight framework with most of the code and load being at the database layer I really don’t think it would make any noticeable difference.

Nick

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

IEE was made a 32-bit application for two reasons: 1) when it first came out, 32-bit OSes were still commonly used, and 2) various integations (often requiring IE and COM) become difficult to support at 64-bit. Obviously the situation has changed since then regarding (1).

Please understand that the only difference between 32-bit and 64-bit is address space. A 32-bit process can address 2^32 bits of memory, which is 4 GB. On Windows, normally the OS will reserve half of this leaving only 2 GB. However, IEE (in APPS 10) has enabled /LARGEADDRESSAWARE which allows the full 4 GB address space to be available when running on a 64-bit OS. However, even if the environment has 8, 16, 32 GB, or even more memory, IEE will never be able to use it. However, that memory is not entirely wasted: extra memory will be usable to other applications (OS tasks, Excel, Chrome etc) running concurrently on the machine.

A 64-bit process has 2^64 bits of address space available, which is a theoretical 16 exabytes--far larger than the largest servers currently allow. I say theoretical because most current CPUs and Windows do not currently support this entire space. As I recall, Windows Server 2019 supports a maximum of 24 TB.