Question

Fourth layer

• 24 January 2020
  • 2 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi,

I asked this question on openIFS in November. Now openIFS seems obsolete, so I try here. I wonder whether we could introduce fourth layer next to CORE, EXT, CUST in order to allow modifying the PL/SQL packages by the customer. Assuming the customizations would be done carefully, they would survive upgrades to new UPDATE.

For the moment I have created new component and I created some procedures which are executed as scheduled tasks. It would be sometimes convenient to modify the logic in some areas specific to our needs. Asking IFS for doing the customizations is much slower.

What do you think ?

Regards,

Marek

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Marek,

Modifying IFS code is NOT recommended as it could invalidate your support agreement with them. IFS maintains a local harvest copy of every client’s environment as customization or bug fixes are first developed in the internal environment before releasing deliveries to the client.

Modifying IFS code will make it different to the one in the harvest copy.

You can always create your own custom code to suit your requirements instead of modifying native IFS code. It is recommended to use a prefix whilst creating database objects to differentiate them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’ve been known to copy the IFS code to create our own version, creating an Oracle package with an entirely different name. If we need to report anything to Support, we can test on their version first to make sure it wasn’t our fault. If we need to upgrade, we’ll always have their version and ours so we can merge changes.