Solved

Display Aurena Lobbies on Smart TV

• 1 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi all,

We are considering using smart TVs as information screens around the company.

Our idea is to have the TV’s running Aurena Lobbies.

Anyone has experience with this?

icon

Best answer by MiLeNL 4 November 2021, 08:49

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Hans Andersen ,

We have used TV’s to display IFS Aurena lobbies and IFS Enterprise Explorer lobbies in a testing environment but not yet deployed anything into production.   We basically just used the TV’s as a large computer monitor to display what would normally show up on a regular computer screen.   We have a small footprint computer connected to the TV using HDMI then we just open IFS Aurena and we can see everything on the TV screen.  It’s not as crisp and sharp as a computer screen but then again its running in 1080p.

We have not been able to launch the IFS Aurena client directly in the browser that comes with the TV which was our desire initially.   I’m not sure the TV web browsers fully support HTML5 and Chrome.   We are continuing to look for a TV that has a built in browser that built using the Chrome Engine but no luck yet.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks @william.klotz for the info.

My presumption was that if we buy something running Android TV, it will work. But I should probably ask somebody first.

Do you mind comment on what OS and browsers you have tried?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Hans,

Android TV does not have chrome browser inbuilt so either you have to sideload chrome or have to use a third-party alternative browser which can have compatibility issues. My suggestion is to buy a cheaper display and use a Raspberry Pi.

With this setup, you can just leave the tv any place you want and control it remotely.;)

As I know max resolution supported by Raspi  is 1080P 1920x1080 but you can find some hacks to use with a 4K monitor.

Cheers!

Damith

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @dsj ,

I think your suggestion is a little bit too advance for now.  

We have an employee owning a Samsung TV. It is probably running Samsung Internet Browser (based on Chromium). He will do some test on it.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

We have tested it on a Samsung Smart TV.

It seems to be working. But there is some drawbacks

• It is running Samsung Internet. No guarantee that it will work with future updates.
  • It cannot display full screen (F11).
  • It cannot be operated remotely.
  • What do you do with the remote, when the screen is hanging in a corridor?

None of the solutions suggested are perfect. Unless we go full monty and start using something like MagicInfo, I guess that what we have.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Other option i also just tried is using a Chromecast and the casting functionality of Google Chrome;

My tv has a Chromecast plugged into it. Shows like this (sorry it's at home so a bit messy :no_mouth: ).

Benefits;

As long as the TV has HDMI even older ‘dumb’ TV's/monitors will work. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@MiLeNL ,

Excellent, this is the solution we going for. Working flawless on our wi-fi.