Database size in Apps 9

• 10 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 42 replies

Hello all, 

Similar to post made about 2 years ago, I’m looking some advice on controlling database size. 

We’ve had IFS for over 3 years now and our database is already over 1Tb which seems abnormal compared to some comments under below post. 

Seems like our IFSAPP_DATA tablespace is taking up 454GB followed by IFSAPP_LOB 216GB

I have a further breakdown of top largest tables from ProDBA, MEDIA_ITEM_TAB and PART_COST_BUCKET_HISTORY_TAB with MEDIA_ITEM_TAB col. MEDIA_OBJECT taking up 144GB. 

My question is, how do you keep on top of your DB size? I’ve seen customers say they’ve had IFS for many many years and their DB is only about 500GB. Are there settings within application that can be checked? Can the space be reclaimed if so does anyone know how? Share some best practices :) 

Thanks all! 

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @Kasia 

I saw customers with nearly 4TB db size(1TB is very common). I first time meet so large MEDIA_ITEM objects. I suppose the problem is with LOB's. Shrink Lob Segments job could reduce size but for current size(~150GB) it will be problem to finish this - it makes copy of data in temporary datafiles. There are also plenty of Cleanup processes which could reduce db size by removind unnecessary data and keep db in good condition.
    Usually I faced problems with History Log and of Archive Reports size as well during yearly customer health checks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @Kasia 

I saw customers with nearly 4TB db size(1TB is very common). I first time meet so large MEDIA_ITEM objects. I suppose the problem is with LOB's. Shrink Lob Segments job could reduce size but for current size(~150GB) it will be problem to finish this - it makes copy of data in temporary datafiles. There are also plenty of Cleanup processes which could reduce db size by removind unnecessary data and keep db in good condition.
    Usually I faced problems with History Log and of Archive Reports size as well during yearly customer health checks.

Thank you so much for your input Piotr @knepiosko :)