Solved

Can we manually enter a value in a Custom Field linked to a custom enumaration?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Everyone,

I have created a persistent custom field that uses a custom enumeration. However, I would like to be able to manually enter the value in the field (instead of going into the LOV every single time).

Is this possible? If yes, what set up is required?

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Bhagya Wickramasinghe 1 June 2022, 07:53

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Alexis.S,

It’s not possible to manually enter values for custom fields connected with enumerations. You can refer the below post for more information.

Hope this helps!

BR,
Bhagya

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @Alexis.S 

You may use a drop down list (combo box) instead of a LOV if that is more convenient.

Data Type: Enumeration

Format: Normal

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @Bhagya Wickramasinghe ,

I cannot access the post you linked (based on the url it seems to be restricted to employee and partners only).

Regards,

Alexis

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Alexis.S,

Copying the content of the link,

We have discussed this with R&D previously as well. According to them, they have received this request couple of times, but it is not possible to implement it because it is a technical limitation in Custom Object Framework as you have assumed.

The reason for that is values for reference type custom fields are stored as rowkey values and not as display values. Because of that it is impossible for them to provide text operation features such as type, find, replace, ...etc for reference type custom fields.

Therefore, for reference type custom fields, you have to provide values through LOV views and there is no way for the development team to provide typing facility (text edit features) to them.

BR,
Bhagya

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @Bhagya Wickramasinghe ,

Thanks for that. Okay, then I understand the rationale behind.

Regards,

Alexis