Question

23R1 Cloud - Binding Custom Entity to Baseline Entity in Work Task Screen

• 3 August 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +12

Hello All,

There is a limitation in Cloud that we cannot add/update custom attributes to JtExecutionInstance entity. Therefore, I’ve created a custom entity and associated it with JtExecutionInstance as shown below.

• Custom Entity:
    • Created a custom entity with few attributes.
  • Projection Configuration:
    • Created a projection configuration and linked both JtExecutionInstance and STJtExecutionInsExt.
  • Page Designer:
    • Using page designer in Work Task screen, I’ve created a List for the custom entity. Added this list to the Assignment tab as shown below with the Binding.

• When I save and try to add a new record to the custom entity, it shows an error.

Am I missing any configuration or binding value provided is wrong? Any inputs are appreciated.

Kind Regards

Priyanka Cecilia

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Navinth Bakmeedeniya  / @Tobias  Do you have any insights on this please?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Priyanka Cecilia V 
Did you check whether the WorkTaskHandling API new endpoints (created for the reference) are working correctly? You can check the URL with the API Doc (API Explorer). (Additionally, you can test using a tool like Postman mainly for CUD). It is always useful to get confirmed whether the API endpoints are working before using them in IFS Cloud client.

Badge +12

Hi @Navinth Bakmeedeniya,

Yes, I can see the API endpoints for the custom entity created. GET method seems to work using Postman but when I do a POST or PATCH, I get an error. 

I believe it is because of the Entity Mapping configured in the Projection Configuration. I recreated a new custom entity with Execution_Instance_Seq as the only Primary Key between JtExecutionInstance and custom entity. Have you seen this error before or aware of any such scenarios? Please let me know.

Kind Regards

Priyanka Cecilia

Badge +12

Hello @Navinth Bakmeedeniya,

I was able to resolve the above issue in the Work Task screen. It was due to mismatch in the datatypes for the primary keys.

A follow up query: Currently I’ve created a separate list ‘Execution Instance’ (Custom List as per the screenshot below) to display the custom entity under Assignments tab in Work Task screen.

Is there a way we can display the attributes from the custom entity within the same ‘Work Task Assignment List’ (Baseline List as per the screenshot below) through Page Designer 

Please let me know the possibilities. 

Kind Regards

Priyanka Cecilia

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Priyanka Cecilia V If your requirement is only to display i.e. read only (I guess it's not here), you can create a Query (Query Designer) joining multiple entities & use an entity set based on that Query here in the tab as the source; another option is, you may use read only type custom attributes for this purpose. However, if the requirement is to perform CUD as well, then having a list for CUD on multiple entities is not supported.

Badge +12

@Navinth Bakmeedeniya, Thank you for your suggestions.

Couple of queries based on the above:

• If we add a new Field Set from a query with multiple entities, can we still trigger a Custom Event based on this field set when a value changes?
    • Do we have any documentation on this configuration?
  • When you mention as read-only custom attributes, are your referring to add in JtExecutionInstance or the custom entity?
    • If it is JtExecutionInstance, we are unable to update the attributes through workflow configuration as it is a baseline limitation.
    • If it is in the custom entity, can you please let me know the steps how the attributes can be added to the Baseline List through Page Designer?
      • In this scenario, will we be able to update the attributes through workflow configuration? 

Please let me know your inputs.

Kind Regards

Priyanka Cecilia

Badge +12

Hi @Navinth Bakmeedeniya, Can you please let me know if you got a chance to look at the above queries?

Kind Regards

Priyanka Cecilia

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Priyanka Cecilia V 

“If we add a new Field Set from a query with multiple entities, can we still trigger a Custom Event based on this field set when a value changes?” - As I mentioned above, the entity set is read only, so you won’t be able change data from that tab, meaning, you won’t be able trigger the custom event from there.

“If we add a new Field Set from a query with multiple entities, can we still trigger a Custom Event based on this field set when a value changes?” - Yes, it is. If it is not yet done, perhaps it would be good to have a discussion with the product team who owns JtExecutionInstance on why it is not supporting custom fields.