Question

How to use the Map services ? Any guide?

• 12 January 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Thanks!

What are you trying to achieve?

Virtual Map Services can be used to display something on a map (you can link this in object connections to display the map in-context, uses Bing and Esri) and to fetch coordinates for an address (uses Bing). 

The GIS has a bi-directional integration to ESRI and can be used to visualise data on a map as well as create things from the map e.g. create a fault report. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

thanks.  I wanted to know whether this can be used for Transport routing? shipping monitoring?

Userlevel 7

thanks.  I wanted to know whether this can be used for Transport routing? shipping monitoring?

Sorry, I noticed now that this relates to Maintenix and I was responding assuming this was IFS Applications. Forget what I said. I’ll let someone else answer the Mx questions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

oh sorry, I wasn’t aware I’m in Maintenix as well? :thinking: but I guess you’re on the right track answering me. :D

Userlevel 7

oh sorry, I wasn’t aware I’m in Maintenix as well? :thinking: but I guess you’re on the right track answering me. :D

Well, you can link map positions to virtually any object, so you could add it to shipments and transport routes, but displaying an actual route may be hard. There is ‘Routes’ functionality in Virtual Map, but I haven’t used it in years and I’m not sure if it’s specifically developed for work orders. @Mathias Dahl any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

I can only speak for IFS Applications, and the IEE client. There is some kind of “lightweight” “route drawing” functionality in the large map we have in the Virtual Map solution (based on Bing Maps). I’d rather not get into details until I know the context here.

Thanks!

/Mathias

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

PS. It is not only for work orders. It can be used for any object type that has a “map source”. Again, I would rather not want to get into details here until I understand the context and the requirement.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Mathias Dahl we are actually wanted to use it for Transport planning. (i.e. driver location, remote warehouse (Van) can it be used in those scenarios?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Mathias Dahl we are actually wanted to use it for Transport planning. (i.e. driver location, remote warehouse (Van) can it be used in those scenarios?

If you use IEE, perhaps. You need to find objects in IFS that represents those objects in the real world and those needs to be supported by the map. If you have IFS installed I suggest you have a look at the large Virtual Map map. Make sure to read up on the documentation on it. By the way, you mention driver location, do you expect to in some way get real-time GPS data? That is nothing we have built-in integrations for, just so that you know.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Is there a way to add an overlay to the map when not using GIS?  For example can you color code cities or states as regions and see Map Locations where they lie in each region?  See attached map.  Would like to do this on the Virtual Map in IEE and see my map locations on top of this.