Question

Unmatched Cash Transactions

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

In the Help the definition of the Unmatched Cash Transactions field on the Manual Transaction Matching window says:

Unmatched Cash Transactions:
The total amount of the unmatched cash account transactions. This should be equal to the difference between the cash book balance and the bank balance (i.e. amount displayed in the Difference field) once the bank reconciliation process is completed for the reconciliation date displayed in the window.

Can someone please clarify why the Unmatched Cash Transactions field is not the total of the unmatched transactions displayed once the reconciliation date has passed. 

ie If I search in the Manual Transaction Matching window for  April 3, the total of the 4 rows displayed is -11099.12 (SUPAY) but the value displayed in the Unmatched Cash Transaction field is -18783.12 which is the same as the Difference field. 

Thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi,

Can you try to please click the box - “Exclude Matched” and this might open up more transactions, all of which are not matched potentially. 

Have you got many bank recs, could it be that some of the previous have been amended?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

The result is the same. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Without access to your database it will be hard to help. This is where I’d be looking:

1. Previous and existing bank recs 
  2. Is there an automatic bank rec also in place for the account

The best in this situation is probably to raise a case and support will be able to investigate by looking at the data in the database or performing a technical investigation if necessary. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi, 

I am looking for clarification on the following statement.

Unmatched Cash Transactions:
The total amount of the unmatched cash account transactions. This should be equal to the difference between the cash book balance and the bank balance (i.e. amount displayed in the Difference field) once the bank reconciliation process is completed for the reconciliation date displayed in the window

We start a new bank reconciliation each month and as transactions are reconciled, the value in the unmatched cashed transactions changes and is the total of the transactions listed.  However when I look at past reconciliations the value in the unmatched cash transactions field is not the total of the transactions listed. Why?  

thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Apologies, I now understand the question. I was able to find that in Apps 8 there was a correction applied to change the method for calculating this field. This is the detail for Manual Transaction Matching:

There is a column called “Transaction Reconciled Date” in “Manual Transaction Matching” window, this field shows the corresponding bank balance date/reconciliation date on which the transaction is reconciled. Further, this field will be blank if the transaction was matched without a bank balance date/ reconciliation date.
It was decided to consider this date when calculating the "Unmatched Cash Transactions" amount for a given reconciliation date. Only the transactions of which the reconciled dates are less than or equal to the given reconciliation date (bank statement date) will be considered when calculating "Unmatched Cash Transactions" after this correction. Note that, the transactions which do not have a reconciled date will also be considered for the calculation.

It is that last sentence that is probably causing the difference for you.

Best thing to do would be to raise a support case if you believe that the current calculation of this field is not correct.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi IRituma, 

Thanks for the additional information, it does make things a little clearer with regards to the Manual Transaction Matching window.  Since I first posted the question, we figured out that the balance showing in the Unmatched Cash Transaction field was the balance of the unmatched on the reconciliation date and doesn’t change.  What does change is the records displayed.   When a payment is matched after the reconciliation date it’s considered ‘matched’ and no longer shows .  

The Exclude Matched flag is very confusing because when we first open the screen and enter a query there is no checkmark in the field and only the unmatched transactions are displayed. If I checkmark the Exclude Matched field and then uncheck it again, it displays every matched transaction. 

Once every transaction is displayed, I can ‘search in context’ for all transaction with a Transaction Reconciled date of > than the reconciliation date and see what would have totaled the ‘unmatched cashed transaction.

Not a very user friendly window :(

Thanks

Shelley